~17~

Trigger Warning/Content Warning:

•Character Death

Jimmy stared at the floor as he continued to walk through the villains' base, trying to get as far away as he could from where he had left Aeor- as far away as he could be from the knowledge that he had killed one of his best friends.

Why didn't he tell me? He should have been able to trust me! He thought irritably, sighing. No, it's not Scott's fault. It's mine. Completely my fault.

Jimmy opened a door, walking into a room and expecting to see the room completely empty.

What he did not expect to see was Speculum aiming a loaded crossbow at his head.

What- "Can I help you?" He asked, one eyebrow raised. Why did I leave my trident?!

Speculum said nothing.

"Why are you pointing a crossbow at me?" Jimmy tried quietly, meeting the brunette's gaze. He was somewhat surprised to see a mix of anger and grief in the vigilante's eyes. There's no way that they found Aeor that quickly, right?

"You killed him." Speculum spat, his eyes narrowing as he obvious held back tears.

"Killed who?" Jimmy echoed uneasily.

Speculum stared silently. "Do you really not know? Or have you killed so many people that you don't CARE?!" He hissed, his voice slowly rising to a yell. "You killed Avis. You killed Grian." Jimmy stared back at the vigilante as he almost felt his heart break into two pieces.

Grian is Avis? He blinked back tears. So both of my best friends are dead... and I killed them.

I killed them both.

Speculum rolled his eyes. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you right now." The brunette said through gritted teeth.

"I can't give you a good reason." Jimmy whispered, avoiding the brunette's gaze. "Go ahead. I don't care."

The brunette took a small step backwards, almost startled. "What?" He looked somewhat uneasy now, although still mad.

"Kill me. I don't care. I don't deserve to live anyway." He said with a quiet, slightly sad laugh. I killed my best friends. And the worst part is, I didn't even know it. He hadn't hesitated in the slightest taking both Avis and Aeor's lives, just viewing it as two annoying heroic people out of his way.

"Why would you..." Speculum paused before straightening and adjusting the crossbow. It was almost as if the vigilante hadn't actually expected to kill Jimmy, only to threaten him.

"I just explained why. But before you do kill me, I want you to pass a message on." He said slowly.

——

BDubs blinked, staring at Piscis. What? "What do you mean?" What on earth was the man talking about? Why was he talking about messages when BDubs was quite literally going to kill him?

"I mean, I want you to tell the Red King who Avis actually is." The villain said quietly. "Tell him that his orders led to his brother's death." Brother? The dark blonde let out a somewhat psychotic laugh at BDubs' expression. "That's right. Grian's brother Ren is the Red King." Piscis sucked in a breath through his teeth, his brown gaze glowing with an emotion he couldn't name.

"Oh, I half wish that you weren't going to kill me, just so I could see the look on that smug fool's face when he realises that his brother died because of him." The dark blonde finished. "Promise you'll tell him?"

BDubs blinked. He wasn't quite sure how to respond to that. "Yup."

Piscis shrugged. "Then go ahead. Kill me. I couldn't care less. I deserve it." Although he said it nonchalantly, his brown gaze was full of sadness and grief. It almost made him feel bad for the villain, and for a moment BDubs considered lowering the crossbow and letting the dark blonde live.

But then the knowledge of Grian's death came flooding back into his brain, along with the pang of grief that came with it, and he didn't hesitate to fire the arrow, his pity dimming slightly as the arrow hit Piscis in the head and the villain crumpled slightly, falling to the floor.

BDubs' gaze lingered on Piscis' body for a moment, wondering what had lead the villain to be so accepting of his death, before turning and leaving in the hopes of finding his teammates (as well as the heroes) and leaving this horrible place forever.

Yes, they had saved Pearl and BigB. But at what cost? And there was still the lingering thought at the back of his mind, even though he was still glad that they had saved his other teammates.

Was it worth it?

——

Martyn squinted at the trail of blood that he was pretty sure meant Jimmy- or Piscis, if they were being professional-had come this way. Where on earth is he? We need to get out of here before the heroes actually get over Avis dying and arrest us or something- His train of thought ended abruptly as his gaze landed on an open door.

He could see Jimmy lying on his back in the doorway, a pool of blood surrounding his head, and his eyes widened with alarm as he ran forwards to see the arrow that was stabbed into his work partner's head. No, no, no- Martyn leant down next to Jimmy with a choked sob. Who did this?! His eyes flickered green as he checked what the heroes could hear- muffled crying from Luna and Velox, shaky breathing from Thunderstruck, panicked conversation from Engineer and Warlock...

And the sound of a crossbow reloading from Speculum. Speculum killed him...? Although Martyn had seen the vigilante fight before, he hadn't thought Speculum would be able to actually kill someone, let alone Jimmy, who was an incredible fighter, especially with that enchanted trident of his. I'm so sorry, Jimmy.

Martyn stood up slowly, wiping away tears and stepping away from his friend's body as he started to walk down the corridor to find the other villains.

One thing is for sure- I'm not going to let Speculum get away with this.

Last character death I promise

So uh yeah that happened Jimmy died as well

And Martyn is mad

This book has life a few more chapters and then ima start the sequel which is gonna be called 'Unnatural Life' :)