Chapter fifteen

Bonnie had spent many nights dreaming of what it would feel like to stand in this very spot

Bonnie had spent many nights dreaming of what it would feel like to stand in this very spot. She'd tried to imagine what the feel of the spraying water would do to her skin, or how the lush trees would smell as they swayed. Even the dirt beneath her feet had a feeling—rough but abundant, helping life to grow. And now she was there, staring up at the cascading water with all words gone and all assumptions flying away like the leaves falling around her.

They'd followed the path down from the street, smiling politely at people passing and stopping to pet a dog or two. She hadn't quite been prepared for how steep the steps to descend were, but she'd stayed upright and not fallen, much to Gremory's disappointment. Not that it would have hurt much if she did, after all the jacket she was wearing would have cushioned her completely.

At one point, Kimaris had stopped following the trial. After checking in case anyone had been watching, he'd ducked under the old wooden fence and made his way through some bushes, careful to not get caught in the nettles below. They'd been quick to follow, and soon they were cautiously making their way down their own path, watching for any surprising twists or unsafe drops.

When they'd emerged from the greenery, picking twigs from their hair, the top of the fall was high above them, and the pool of water only a few metres away. It was an even better view than the postcard.

It wasn't the most magnificent waterfall—no; it didn't have the size of Niagara, or the height of Victoria. In reality, it was small and quite unassuming, and to many might not have been worth the steep walk down to the viewpoints. But to Bonnie, it was more.

It was a moment. Endless thoughts and wants swirling into a sight that she had given up on seeing with her own eyes. Perhaps it was her own mind making it as glorious as she thought, but it didn't matter. She never thought she would come, because she would never be brave enough to venture North on her own, yet here she was. And she had company too, just not the one she'd always assumed.

"Bonnie, you okay?"

Bonnie pulled herself from the spell she was under. Gremory knelt on the ground, setting up objects in a circular shape, and Kimaris had been searching for a flat stone, which he now held in his hand as he checked on her, concern wrinkling his nose.

"Yeah," she answered a little too quickly, turning away from the view. "Just admiring."

"It used to be a lot bigger." He looked up the length of the structure, contemplating. "They changed the water flow when they built an aluminium plant at the end of the nineteenth century. They tried to restore some of it, but it's never been the same."

"Really?" Bonnie asked, turning back to look. "That must have been incredible."

"It was." There was the ghost of a smile on his lips. "The water nymphs loved it here, they used to say the water was the sweetest they'd ever swam in. But none of them come anymore, too many tourists and prodding fingers."