Chapter 7 - Idol Battle

The group traveled under the cover of night. It was a rather short ride to the point where they would break off, less than an hour, even with Dio pulling a cart. Given the condition the girls were likely to be in, Reichnott offered them a small cart to carry them.

Before they split off, Dante gave some last minute instructions to Keel and JoJo.

"Don't stay in one area too long, and stay ahead of the flames. If anyone spots you, immediately run away. Lose any pursuers and wait at Reichnott's when you're finished."

While the lord couldn't aid them too directly, he at least offered a place to return to when they finished.

"Got it!" Keel affirmed.

"JoJo." Dante looked at the ostrich shaped filolial. "Listen to Keel and stay in that form. The fewer identifying marks anyone can make, the better. You can transform once you get back."

"Gweh!" JoJo gave Dante a quick bump on the head.

"One last thing." Dante pulled a parcel from under his armor. He and Sadeena left their packs at Reichnott's, as they would only weigh them down with what they were about to do. "If we aren't back by morning, read the note I left you. It has instructions for what to do next."

"Okay." Keel said, grabbing the parcel. Dante held onto it for a moment.

"I mean it. Don't read it until morning."

"I-I got it!" Keel pulled the parcel away from him and stored it in his pack.

"One last thing." Dante brought his hand up to Keel's cheek. The boy's eyes widened for a moment before Dante brushed back his hair, revealing the side of his head.

"Huh. So, that's what it looks like." Dante gave an approving nod.

"H-How what looks like?" Keel stammered out.

"It's not important." Dante said, ignoring his concerns. "Alright, get going."

Truthfully, he was curious what it looked like on demi-humans where humans would have their ears. He didn't really have any expectations, but it was interesting to see the appendage missing.

Keel gave him one last look. "Bring them back safe, okay?"

"Of course." Dante said. With that, JoJo took off to the eastern forest.

"Do you think he'll be okay?" Sadeena asked as they set off for the western side of the hill.

"I'm sure he will. JoJo should be fast enough to outrun most anything they send after them."

Sadeena looked over the map Fiadia made them and directed Dio on where to go. They found a few of the landmarks indicated on the map and spotted the exit. It was covered with some strange sort of sheet that camouflaged it, making it appear the same as the cliff face surrounding it. Even with the map, it would have been hard to find without Sadeena. Her echolocation made finding the hole much easier.

They dismounted, pulled the cart to the side, and started moving through the narrow passage. Dio walked easily in her chick form, while Dante and Sadeena went through with a few inches of room on either side. With no natural light from the moon, Dante led the way with the glow from his shield's gem.

After about twenty minutes of walking, they came to a small enclosure with a metal door. The hinges were on this side, and there was enough room in the open space in front of the door to fit a little over a dozen people, if they stood shoulder to shoulder.

Sadeena approached the door and gave it a listen.

"I don't hear anyone directly on the other side." She said.