Chapter 49 - Fall From Grace

"What's going on, little woman?" Khana asked urgently, keeping her eyes on the angel before them.

"Tower Shield IV!" Dante stood and grew out his shield, placing his back against Khana. "Stay behind be. Takt is here."

"Takt? That rifle guy you mentioned? Why is he here?"

"Fuck if I know."

A number of ideas ran through his head. Did he sneak in with the other adventurers? Did he ride out to the wave on a dragon? Was he already here, waiting to make a move? If it was the last one, he picked a damn good time, but that just opened up more questions. Dante didn't have time for any of them. He wasn't even sure where exactly the shot came from. Nothing stood out before he activated his skill.

Iaoth raised her sword above her head. "To me!" Her voice echoed in their minds.

The angels that were flying after Conrad's party turned about and headed toward Iaoth.

"I'd really appreciate it if you have some secret skill up your sleeve to get us out of this." Dante said, watching as the angels began to hover around Iaoth.

Khana grunted. "I was going to say that to you."

Lloyd's monsters were still engaging the angels around them, but it was mostly defensive. Dante's party didn't have him to set a strong defensive line, so counterattacking wasn't easy. It was looking worse for Khana's party. If the angels around Iaoth went after any of the groups, Dante wasn't sure how to handle it.

"Ignore the defeated hero and his party." Iaoth commanded. "Find whoever dares to interfere with mine glory and kill them!"

"Yes, mine lady!" The angels flew off in the direction of the shot, spreading out to form a wide search.

Dante continued looking over his shoulder at Iaoth.

"Do not be mistaken, Dante MacRory." Iaoth pointed her blade at the two remaining heroes. "I will not have mine victory taken by a coward. Thine death belongs to me!"

The situation went from desperate back to terrible. If Takt was busy dealing with those angels, he couldn't keep shooting at him. Hopefully they'd kill each other and it'd be one less problem to worry about later.

Another shot echoed out. This time, Dante felt no pain, not even an impact on his shield. He quickly looked to his party, but found none of them on the ground, nor their HP greatly lowered. Same for Khana and Lloyd's parties. A soft thud called his attention to the wave rift. The angel with the trumpet that had been hovering in the air had just fallen to the ground.

"Damn it!" Iaoth backed up and looked around. The angels that were fighting with the others began to move slower.

"What the hell?" Khana saw the same thing. "Now that guy is helping us?"

"Or he doesn't want crazy strong angels attacking him. Whatever the case, I'll take it!" Dante reduced his shield again and faced Iaoth. "Let's kill her and end the wave."

"I won't fall so easily, Dante MacRory! Boundless Blade!" Iaoth pointed her sword at him and extended it.

Holding his shield at an angel, Dante took some damage as he let the blade veer off and away from him and Khana. They charged forward at the now weakened angel.

"Air Strike Hammer V!" Khana slammed her hammer down, barely missing Iaoth as she dodged sideways. "Second Hammer V!" With one arm, Khana swung the hammer to the side, striking Iaoth on her large left wing. It looked like it was bent backwards.

"Titanic Charge III!" Dante rammed into her, keeping her from taking to the sky. Shock discharged, but there was still no effect on her. She was, however, still stuck on his shield's spikes thanks to Impale.