Chapter 67 - Take Back the Throne

The events from an hour ago still weighed heavily on the party. The two most affected were also the two physically closest to Dante at the moment.

Atla sat on Dante's lap, her arms wrapped around him as he slowly stroked her back. She didn't say much after the meeting, about as much as she said during it. Instead, after the royal meeting with all the heroes, she wanted Dante to comfort her. She handled herself quite well in the throne room. While what he knew of her personality suggested she might be using what happened as an excuse to be near him, this didn't feel like that. Not entirely, at least.

Fohl, on the other hand, hadn't said a word. The older, much taller tiger woman was currently leaned against Dante, backs pushing against each other to stay sitting up. The Vassal Axe was on the floor to allow this. Her arms and legs were crossed as she silently fumed. If nothing else, Dante knew what she heard affected her more than Atla.

After all, why wouldn't it? She knew how much her parents cared about her and Atla. She knew how much Dante cared, despite not sharing their blood at all. And Malty, who helped cause so many issues for the Shield Hero, was not only forgiven by Dante, but offered protection against their uncle. And how did Fohl's other uncle respond? Not with gratitude or understanding, but with threats of violence and death.

The smaller details, while not irrelevant, didn't excuse what was said about them. Not at all.

"Atla, Fohl, I..." Malty tried to speak, but the words wouldn't come.

After meeting with the royal family, most of Dante's party left the throne room. Only he, Sadeena, and Rishia remained. The queen reiterated what she told Dante's group, going into more detail about what was to be done with the church. The other three heroes obviously had questions and the queen answered what she could. It was made clear, in no uncertain terms, that Dante was not to be the target of any attacks by any of the heroes. Armor's sister was livid, yelling about his murder. At this point, Dante didn't really care. He only made sure she understood that, should she come after anyone in his party, she and the rest of her family would join Armor. Not remembering his name set her and Itsuki off.

During the whole thing, whether it was from shock or a kernel of wisdom, Aultcray didn't say a word.

When that meeting concluded, Dante's party, plus Malty and Melty, were situated in Malty's room. There were a few long couches for everyone to sit on, with Dante, Fohl, and Atla taking one of them. Malty sat in a chair she pulled over to be closer. Melty sat on the end near Atla, though she hadn't said anything. What could she say?

"I don't know what I can do, except apologize for my father's words." Malty settled on that.

"Hmph!" Fohl wasn't interested.

"It's not your fault." Atla said, turning her head from Dante's chest.

"Even so, my actions helped bring you here." Malty added. "I knew my father hated Siltvelt, but I didn't think he would lash out like that, especially after everything Sir...I mean, Dante, did for us."

"He has held onto his hate for years." Dante said. "I am not surprised."

Fohl turned her head slightly. "Did you know our uncle would say that?"

Dante shook his head. "I expected him to direct his anger to me alone."

Honestly, that was part of the plan. Fohl wanted to see what Aultcray was like. Dante wanted to show her. He was confident Aultcray would never accept the good Dante did for his family. Ranting about hakukos wasn't part of the plan, but the end result was the same.

"You will never see them again. If you try...As my now-fiancée's father, I will not kill you. However, you do not need your limbs to live."

Dante checked with both sisters beforehand. Atla was fine not seeing Aultcray, but Fohl wanted to at least meet him first. It was cruel, to be sure, but Aultcray attempted to murder Dante's family. The least he could do was deprive Aultcray of his nieces, one of whom did indeed resemble his long-dead sister.