Chapter 59 - From the Ashes

Now that their business was done in Melromarc, the party returned to the village.

Melty looked around at her surroundings. "This isn't Siltvelt's capital."

"No. It's a village I started. Or, rebuilt, I should say." Dante explained. "It houses freed human slaves, as well as people from Reichnott's territory."

"Reichnott? Van Reichnott?" Melty looked to him. "Why are his people here?"

Dante sighed. "Looks like there's a lot you need to be told about. I need to get some things done first." He turned to the recently rescued tailor, her bruises more visible in the early evening light. "Keel, take Ann to see Rat. Have her checked out."

"Got it." Keel nodded and transformed, offering the injured woman his hand to help her along.

"Thank you, Dante." Ann said as she passed him. "I'll find some way to thank you."

Dante shook his head. "None of that. This was my fault."

He was the one that needed to repay Ann for everything those knights put her through. First was finding out exactly what happened. She was shaken, but not terrified, so it hopefully wasn't too severe.

Dante spoke to Melty next. "We should probably visit the castle soon. It'll be faster to wait for my portal skill to recharge than to travel by carriage, so we can discuss—"

Before he could finish speaking, Fohl walked up and grabbed his arm. She started dragging him away mid-sentence.

"Uh, Fohl, I'm in the middle of—"

"Come with me." Fohl's tone was commanding, offering no room for argument.

If it was urgent, Dante didn't want to put if off. "Make yourselves comfortable!" He called out to the group. "Sadeena, check with Fiadia about the children!"

"Okay, little Dante~" Sadeena gave him a wave as Dante straightened himself out to walk with Fohl.

"So, what's the issue?" Dante asked, taking Fohl's hand in his.

The tiger woman looked over and down at him. "Did you really think Atla was in a position to fight anyone?"

Dante cocked an eyebrow. "Well, she's weaker than she was, but she could hold her own. Did something happen to her?"

Fohl said nothing. Instead, she continued to lead him. As they passed one of the camping plants, the building housing the Vassal Weapons came into view. Dante saw the problem immediately.

The door to the building was blown off its hinges.

Oh shit! What happened? Was Atla...no, her HP is full in my status. I never got any notifications either.

Once in front of the building, Dante noticed a larger number of knights than usual. Atla was sitting next to the destroyed door. She had her back against the wall, her head down and hidden behind her knees pulled up close to her. She didn't react at all to their approach.

"Atla?" The younger tiger sister flinched at Dante's voice.

"I'm sorry." Her voice was low and muffled.

"What happened?" Dante looked to the broken doorway.

Atla, however, shook her head. She didn't even lift it up for Dante to look at her properly.

Dante looked to Fohl, who had moved her hand to his back. She gave him a push, forcing him to quickly grasp Atla's shoulder.

"Talk to her. Make her feel better." Fohl said before turning and lowering her voice. "Do what I can't."