Chapter 71 - Understanding

~A few days earlier~

"Empress!"

Raphtalia was looking over the various charts and map laid on the table with Sadeena. The palace officials were going over which nobles were in charge of different regions, which ones swore loyalty her, and other domestic issues of state. The modified bioplant seeds Dante left helped with the food shortage the corrupt nobles had caused among the citizens, so it was only a matter of weeding them out. When she was called out, she looked over to the official who came into the room.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Forgive my intrusion, but you've received a message from Shieldfreeden. The people you were looking for have been found."

"What!?" She turned to face him fully. "Where are they?"

The official looked over the message. "Ruftmila, the disgraced emperor, was sighted in the capital just this morning. Spies were dispatched by the chancellor to keep watch until your arrival."

A single look from Raphtalia was all Sadeena needed. The older woman followed her to the door.

"E-Empress?" The official watched her pass.

"We'll be back." Raphtalia told him.

"Wait, Empress! We can send our warriors with you!" The official called out.

"We have our party with us." Raphtalia gave him a glance and listened to nothing else he said.

They made their way to where the others were at. "Shouldn't we tell little Dante about this, little Raphtalia?" Sadeena asked as they walked.

Raphtalia slowed for a moment before continuing her pace. "No. I want us to see them first."

"Hmm~. Are you sure?"

"We have two heroes, and there are five of us." Raphtalia reasoned. "Besides...Dante might not be in the mood to talk with them."

She wasn't too worried. Ruftmila had a weapon against heroes, but they wouldn't have time to use a Sakura Stone, if they even had one. It was highly unlikely they had any allies, since all the ones in Shieldfreeden surely went to the Wave and perished. Additionally, the information they uncovered in Q'ten Lo suggested Shildina and Ruftmila were to be little more than tools, meant to be discarded when their use was up.

It was only a short while later until the others were informed and they all teleported to Shieldfreeden's capital with Raphtalia's portal skill. A clerk at the senate got them the information and they set out to where their missing relatives were. JoJo pulled the cart, being given directions by one of the spies that returned.

Nearly half an hour later, they arrived at the outskirts of a medium-sized village. The spy directed them to a house near the edge that was abandoned. Or, at least it used to be.

Raphtalia spotted movement inside, coupled with Sadeena's echolocation ability. They planned to approach it more stealthily, but the movement became quick and erratic.

"Keep the villagers away." Raphtalia told the spies.

They quickly got to work, siting a notice the clerk gave the group for the arrest of criminals. Rifana quickly cast a few support spells on the five of them, just in case it turned violent quickly.

"We know who you are!" Raphtalia's voice boomed out. "Come out now or we will force you out!"

Weapons were drawn and transformations were undergone. Despite her desire to talk first, Raphtalia was more than willing to fight.

The door to the house slowly opened. Ruftmila peaked out, a hand holding the scabbard of his katana. His hair looked like it hadn't been brushed out in quite a while.