Chapter 43 - Switching Up

"So, that's the general situation."

"Lord Shield..."

One of the first things Dante did when he got back was inform Werner of what happened. It wasn't something he particularly wanted to do, but it was best to inform someone that he was setting all these fires.

"I don't know what you can do, but try your best." Dante knew it wasn't really fair to lay these problems at Werner's feet, but he certainly wasn't going to try tackling such a political catastrophe.

Werner sighed. "Yes, Lord Shield."

Dante left Werner to do whatever was needed.

If it was any other hero, that would have turned out far differently. I'm sure I could have convinced Ren to let it go, either by paying whatever was being rewarded or by throwing what happened to Mirso in his face. Motoyasu might have been more difficult, though that would have been an opportunity to see what Malty's reaction would've been.

He would have been alone with his thoughts, but Reiko had been clinging to his side since before they arrived and had yet to stop. Nearly being cut down would do that to a kid.

"You doing okay there, Reiko?" Dante asked the boy. A silent nod was all the response he got.

They walked through the hall, heading towards the rooms Dante's party slept in. Atla and Keel went there after they returned, likely telling everyone what just happened. At least Dante wouldn't need to be the one to break the news.

"Like I told you before, you'll be staying with us now." Dante assured him. "We'll get you some levels and let you grow out a bit."

Again, a silent nod.

I shouldn't be surprised. Reiko said he was killed by a mugger in our world. Stabbed in the gut and left to bleed out. Not a good way to go, in my experience.

Still, Dante knew Reiko had it in him to bounce back. When they had him tied up, he was pretty animated, even with the potential for death looming over him. Given what he's seen of Reiko, he had a pretty good idea what to do.

"Say, what's the male version of a loli-baba?" Dante asked that incredibly important question.

"W-What?" That got Reiko to snap out of it.

"A male loli-baba. I was turned into one a couple days ago and I couldn't figure out the word for it." Dante explained.

"That's...you're not that old."

"Sure I...wait, did I never tell you? I'm 28 years old." Most of the people he's really talked to knew that, or have heard him claim it.

"Twenty...Damn. I thought I was older than you."

"Reiko, even if I was 17, I still would have been older in every way that matters. Spending more time with the mind of a child doesn't exactly grant you extra knowledge, let alone wisdom."

Reiko smirked. "Yeah, that's why I learned alchemy at a young age."

"Fair enough." The boy did have those journals he wrote, after all.

With the mood elevated, they arrived at the guest rooms his party stayed in. Eclair and Fohl were there, along with Atla and Keel. The others were either training in the courtyard or with Fiadia and the other villagers.

"Sir MacRory." Eclair approached as the two entered. "Please explain what's happening."

"Ah, well..." Dante did just that. He gave his version of events, leading up to the death of two of Itsuki's party members.