Chapter 17 - Getting Back on Track

As much as Dante enjoyed their lovemaking, they still had a bit to do before resting for the night. When they exited the carriage, Raphtalia looked at them, then quickly turned away with a blush. It didn't seem like she told the others, since they didn't start bombarding them with questions. Although, they were all doing their own things.

Dio came over to them in her child form. "Papa? Sadie? Why do your necks have those marks on them?"

That got the attention of the others. The shield's power was very unhelpful here.

"It's nothing to worry about." Dante said as he rubbed Dio's head. It wasn't as if they were going to try and hide it, but having it pointed out was a bit much.

Keel and JoJo had already prepped the food, so Dante just had to cook it for his bonuses. After a bit of stewing and a number of glances from the others, the food was ready. They all took a portion, Raphtalia obviously keeping her head facing away from him when she took hers. Rifana, however, seemed even happier than normal. Dante could only wonder what was going through her mind.

After their meal, they got to sleep. Dante took first watch with Rifana, wanting to explain things properly to her. Of course, Sadeena's warning about Q'ten Lo didn't fall on deaf ears. He told Rifana that he wasn't going to decide who was to be his first wife at this time. That, of course, made Rifana quite happy. Dante didn't understand at first, but quickly realized he basically told her that he would marry her, just not necessarily first.

They continued their magical studies until it was time to switch. Sadeena and Dio were up next. When Dante went to lie down, Rifana patted the bedroll next to her. Dante wanted to protest, but Sadeena waved him on.

Well, as long as we're only sleeping.

Dante lay on the bedroll, with Rifana immediately snuggling up next to him. Without another word between them, they slept for the night.

~The Wrong Hero~

The air in the room was cold. The rain from earlier had cooled everything down, and this house was very much at the sway of the elements. It was a bit more resilient back in the day. The house was rather cheaply made, but what made it worse now was the broken windows and smashed up door.

A grunt came from the floor. A man clutched his stomach as he tried to crawl. A boot ground his hand into the floor, eliciting a shout from him.

"We aren't done yet." The owner of the boot said. The man on the ground looked up at him. His attacker had raven black hair tied in ponytail behind his head. He glared down at the prone man.

"Fuck you..." He drawled out. Blood leaked from his mouth.

The man above pointed his gun at the prone man's head. "This is your doing. You should have known better." He pulled back the hammer on his pistol. "Mister Melero sends his regards."

A loud bang echoed throughout the room. The prone man's head dropped to the floor. The raven haired man removed his boot from the dead man's hand.

"I hope the message was clear." He said, turning to the man sitting against the wall. His face was bruised and he held his shoulder, trying to keep the blood from spilling out further.

The man against the wall spit out a bit of blood. "Yeah..." He pulled his hand from his shoulder wound and gave it a look, only to put it back on again.

"Good." The raven haired man said, turning to the broken door. "Don't make me have to come back here." He stepped over the dead man and walked towards the exit.

"Go to hell, Dante." The wounded man said, groaning as he tried to stand.

~The Wrong Hero~