Beginning of War

Chapter 2

Two years later, at the beginning of the war.

"We're actually going to war?" Chestnut asked. "Why has Queen Moorhen decided to join?"

The sibs were all in their bunker, their usual place for discussing things, where they wouldn't be disturbed by others. None of them were fiddling with anything, all completely focused on this information of the  dreaded war.

"You were right, Morass," Alligator grumbled gloomily. "We are going to war. The accursed thing."

"I didn't want to be," Morass said. She shrugged. "I was simply looking at the logical side of things, which said we would most likely be going to war if none of the SandWing princesses challenged the queen, but the queen died. As for why, it could be anything."

"Could you read the letter to us, Amber? Maybe we'll catch something you didn't," Fawn said. She didn't look like she really believed they'd be able to find anything else.

"It's pretty short. 'All MudWings are now to be allied with Princess Blister and the SeaWings in the upcoming war. We will fight to get Princess Blister on the throne against the other tribes who are fighting,'" Amber read out loud. "Not much about the reason."

"The war shouldn't take too long, though. Right?" Chestnut said. "If Blister is the brain, then she'll be able to think up a way for us to win this, and then we won't have to fight for long, and be on the winning side."

"Well, whatever the reason, and however long it takes, we're going to war," Amber said. "We can't do anything about it. We need to train. That way, we're less likely to lose one of us. It's still a war, whether it's short or long. Wars are always bloody."

All the sibs nodded and went outside to work on their fighting skills. And for a week, all they did was train.

A/N: This part is dedicated to phoenix_eclipse305 for their help in naming Fawn! I had originally put Willow, but she's a bit too important in canon, so she is now Fawn. Similarly, Crocodile is now Morass. Thank you, phoenix_eclipse305!

Edit: It used to be, but the user seems to have deleted their account. Thank you anyway!