The Desert

Chapter 12

Three days later, arriving at the desert.

Chestnut didn't remember much of those days of flying except for the pain. He remembered that part quite clearly. He hated how weak it made him feel, and how impossible it was to ignore.

But finally, finally, they reached the desert.

It was big, open and flat. All Chestnut really noticed was sand and scattered cacti as the sun beat down on them mercilessly. The MudWings all hated it, but Sandstone seemed to revel in it.

"How do you guys live in this?" Alligator scowled at the sun.

Sandstone stretched her wings, catching the warmth. "Don't you feel the sun warming you to your bones?"

Alligator snorted. "I feel it trying to beat me out of this horrid place."

"Well, I miss the desert. With Burn holding the stronghold and me being on Blister's side, I haven't been able to stay for long since the war started."

"The war must've changed so much more for the SandWings," Fawn said. "With the three sides splitting up the tribe and all."

"It changed for everyone," Amber pointed out.

"Fawn has a point," Morass said. "Sure, everyone had to fight, but two-thirds of the SandWings had to move homes, or maybe even more because of how many are on Blaze's side."

Chestnut listened to the conversation, trying to use it to distract himself. However, as he had assumed, it only partially worked. 

"Is there any of that cactus around here?" he inquired when he couldn't stand the pain anymore.

Sandstone surveyed the land. "We're still right on the edge of the desert. But those cacti are all over the place, so it won't take long to find some."

As she had said, they soon came upon that certain kind of cactus. Sandstone tilted her wings and they swooped down. The group landed on the soft sand, Alligator and Chestnut wincing in pain as they landed.

Morass walked up to the cactus and examined it. "What part do we use?"

"The liquid," Sandstone said. "Drip it over the wound, and it'll start to heal."

Morass sliced off a part of the cactus and carefully dripped some of the liquid on Alligator and Chestnut's wounds, before looking up at Sandstone. "The more the better?" she asked. When Sandstone nodded, Morass divided the rest of liquid between the two wounds.

Though it didn't lessen the physical pain by much, it felt like a great weight had been lifted off Chestnut's back. Relief flooded through him, knowing that he would survive as long as Sandstone had been telling the truth.

A/N: Happy New Year, everyone!