The Sacrifice

It was the middle of the night and Valencia was sleeping soundlessly when the slamming of a door woke her up. She jolted awake and instinctively reached for the aluminum bat that she kept in between her bed and nightstand. She got out of bed and crept over to her door, opening it carefully. She walked into the hall that led to the other bedrooms in the house and the stairs.

She wasn't prepared for what she saw. There stood a shirtless Ric only in his boxers. Elena must've heard the door slamming as well since she was out in the hall avoiding looking at Ric.

"Elena," Alaric started and cleared his throat embarrassed. He moved the bowl he held to cover his nether regions.

"Welp, I'm scarred for life," Valencia announced which earned her their attention.

"Why do you have a bat?" Elena asked her twin.

"Because I heard a door slamming in the middle of the night and since everyone was in bed already, I thought it might've been an intruder. I'm not gonna walk out of the safety of my locked room without something to protect me."

Elena shook her head and went to speak when Jenna walked up the stairs wearing Alaric's shirt. When Jenna saw her nieces her face went red in embarrassment.

"Did we wake you guys?" Jenna asked sheepishly.

"No, we're just standing here in the middle of the night because we thought it would be a good time to catch up," Valencia said sarcastically.

"Sorry," Jenna apologized.

"We didn't think anyone else was up," Alaric chimed in just as embarrassed as Jenna.

"But here you are," Jenna said.

"We were just..." Alaric trailed off as he tried to explain the situation with the help of Jenna. Alaric held out the bowl to Elena and Valencia and offered, "Chunky Monkey?"

Valencia looked at the bowl and then back to Alaric. "Do I want ice cream that was close to your junk? I'll pass."

Alaric's face became even redder at her words. "Well... I'm naked. So I'm gonna go."

"Valencia," Elena and Jenna scolded as Alaric walked past the twins and into Jenna's bedroom.

"What?" Valencia asked, not seeing the big deal of what she said. What did they expect? It was the middle of the night and she wasn't awake enough to filter her words.

Jenna shook her head at her blonde niece before she turned to the brunette. "I'm really really sorry."

"It's okay, Jenna, don't worry about it," Elena said.

"I know he's been staying over a lot. Are you-are you sure it's okay?" Jenna asked.

"Seems like things are good."

"They're extremely good," Jenna told her with a bright smile.

"Then I'm extremely okay with it."

Jenna turned to Valencia, she wanted to know how her other niece felt. Valencia sighed, "I'm okay with it, as long as you don't wake me up in the middle of the night again."

"I'll try my hardest not to."

Valencia shrugged, "I'll take it. Now if y'all will excuse me, I'm going back to bed."

Elena and Jenna watched her walk back into her room and shut the door. Jenna turned to Elena and asked, "Why did she have her softball bat?"

A laugh left Elena's lips as she just shook her head at her twin. "She's Valencia."

————————

It was morning and Valencia walked downstairs still half asleep. She made her way into the kitchen, opened the fridge, and pulled out a gallon of milk. She then walked over to the cabinet and grabbed a bowl before she got her favorite cereal out. After she poured her cereal and milk, she went to take a bite only to stop when she saw Stefan, Elena, and Damon watching her.