The Last Dance

It was early in the morning and school just started. Valencia was in history class with Stefan, Elena, and Bonnie. The whole class was waiting for Alaric to show up. Valencia was on her phone sending yet another message to Jenna begging her to talk to her so she could explain everything. But, just like all the other messages she sent, Jenna didn't reply.

Valencia was frowning down at her phone when someone tapped their hand on her desk to get her attention. She looked up and saw Elena, who sat in front of her, smiling and dangling a flyer for the 60s decade dance between her fingers. Valencia nodded with a smile, she already bought an outfit and gogo boots with Caroline. Valencia watched as Elena turned to Stefan and smiled triumphantly.

"Hello, class," Alaric greeted as he walked into the classroom. "What are we learning today?"

"With the decade dance tonight, we've been covering the sixties all week," A cheerleader named Dana answered his question.

"Right. The Sixties." Alaric looked around the classroom, his eyes falling on Elena. He stared at her for a while before he saw blonde hair out of the corner of his eye. He looked behind Elena and was taken back to the night he killed Katherine's family. More specifically him killing the blond-haired and blue-eyed twin of Katerina.

Valencia felt his stare on her and gave him a small smile. Alaric turned to the blackboard and wrote 'The 60s' on it with chalk. "The, uh, ahem... The sixties. I wish there was something good I could say about the sixties, but... Actually, they kind of sucked. Except for the Beatles, of course. They made it bearable. Uh, what else was there? The Cuban missile thing, the...we walked on the moon. There was Watergate."

"Watergate was the seventies, Ric," The twins said simultaneously. At the odd looks they received from their classmates, they realized what they called him. Elena stuttered, "I-We mean, Mr. Saltzman."

Alaric nodded. "Right. It all kind of mushes together up here, the sixties, seventies. Thank you, Elena, Valencia."

————————

Valencia was with Elena in the cafeteria. They both carried a lunch tray as they walked over to Bonnie and Jeremy. Valencia kept glancing down at her tray in distaste. She usually brought her lunch but the cafeteria was supposed to have pizza today so she didn't. She was pissed when she saw no pizza so she asked the lunch lady and apparently no one pulled the pizza out to dethaw earlier this morning.

"Would you quit glaring at your food?" Elena asked, amused by the whole situation. Valencia was so excited about pizza day so when the lunch lady told her they weren't having it, she looked like she was about to cry. She kept switching from pouting to glaring at her food which Elena found hilarious.

"No, and it's not funny. Once a month we have pizza day and it's the only thing I look forward to when it comes to school. Now, I'm stuck with this disgusting blob of food that jiggles with every step I take. It's not supposed to jiggle, ok? It's not jello," Valencia ranted.

"Are you about to cry?" Elena asked when she heard Valencia sniffle.

"No. Leave me alone," Valencia said and sped up. She made it to the table Jeremy and Bonnie were at and set her tray down before plopping down in a seat.

"What's wrong with you?" Bonnie asked the blonde.

Jeremy snickered, he knew exactly what was wrong, and just like Elena he found it funny. "It was supposed to be pizza day today. Via doesn't mess around when it comes to pizza day or food in general."

"I've been robbed of my happiness today," Valencia sniffled.

"You're so dramatic," Jeremy said with a shake of his head.