Chapter 9: Emotional Dilemmas

Here is the continuation of the discussion between Neytiri and Ben. We hope you like it. Feel free to vote (if you liked it) or comment.

Neytiri's point of view

I watched him, silently, hoping that he would manage to open up more to me. Unfortunately, the glare in his eyes showed his will to keep it hidden, which annoyed me.

Me: You'll never be free of your past, Ben, if you let it close.

Ben: You don't understand, Neyt.

I continued to look at him, the frustration in my eyes and my tail wagging showing. Why so much mystery about him when he's been open, so far? It was getting on my nerves!

Me: Are you implying that I'm too stupid for this?

He looked at me in surprise at my reaction.

Ben: What? Of course not! You are even a strong person and one of the smartest people I know.

Me: Then open up to me! I thought we were friends!

Ben: We are, Neytiri.

Me: Then prove it! What's stopping you?

Ben: I just don't want to lose you.

If this was meant to set me back, it failed miserably. Because I was even more eager to discover its secrets.

Me: If I can't trust you, how can I trust our friendship?

And more, if you wanted to. However, I kept this secret to myself. He looked at me, a clear tear in his eye and bit his lips.

Me: So?

Ben: Neyt...

Me: Either you decide to be honest with me...or we stop seeing each other.

It hurt me to put him in such a dilemma. However, he gave me no choice. If I wanted to expose what was weighing on him, I had to push him into a corner.

He looked at me, more torn than ever, biting his lips. His ears lowered and his tail wagging in great nervousness.

I looked at him thus, patient. After a long wait, seeing no change, I started to go my way. Disappointed to see this lack of confidence in me, while I clearly opened my heart and soul to him. Telling him about my sisters, my family and my clan. To get nothing in return. I felt like I had been manipulated by him and it hurt terribly.

Just as I was about to call Seze, with a heavy heart, I heard a sigh.

Ben: Okay, Neyt. You win.

I turned to him, staring at him, keeping my composure. Showing my determination to get what I wanted. He looked at me, looking completely saddened, seeming to search for words, before he began to speak.

Ben: I used to be a warrior, like them. Only caring about doing a good job, with a certain rage in my heart.

Me: A rage?

Tears rolled down her cheeks, before she wiped them away.

Ben: A woman with my trust, betrayed me. And...I guess that rage came from that guilt I had buried inside me.

He remained silent, but I could see the pain in his face. It saddened me to see that. He was usually so curious and smiling. Nevertheless, I could now see the weight on him. I didn't know if I wanted to know more, knowing that my friend was similar to those destroying our land. However, I had to know, if I wanted to build a solid friendship or relationship. So I took it upon myself, not daring to imagine what would happen next.

Me: Please continue.

Ben: Well...you should know that Earth has nothing to do with Pandora. Maybe in the distant past, the two were similar. But not today.