Chapter 41: Inner torment

Here's the next part of the story, with the arrival of the sixth Toruk Makto. Feel free to vote if you like it or comment.

Neytiri's point of view

Later,

I began to pack our things, with Tsylan's help. He carried our daughter, being the calmer of the two of us. And also to soothe her, who turned out to be quite agitated, since she sensed my fear at the news about my clan.

Tsylan: Neytiri, not so fast!

Me: There's no time! I've got to know!

Tsylan: We won't leave until tomorrow. Tsylan: Calm down.

Me screaming: How can I calm down? My family, my people...who knows what could have happened to them!

Sylwyn gave a frightened little cry when she heard me, and my partner hurried to soothe her. Then someone entered. On our guard, we had our hands on our daggers by instinct. We calmed down when we recognized Elena.

Elena: Oh...I sense tension here.

Tsylan rolling his eyes: What do you think, Mom? You've come to announce the fall of the Kelutral, our clan's ally. As well as being my companion's native clan.

Elena: I know. I'm sorry to bring such grim news. But I thought it was necessary.

Me: And I thank you for it. It must have been a long journey for you.

Elena: It did. And for your own good, Neytiri, it might be best if you avoided visiting the ruins of your old home. You'll get nothing more than more pain.

Tsylan: We don't intend to. We want to reach the Tree of Souls first, to find out the state of our family and clan.

Me: Yes...

Tsylan was right. The Kelutral had fallen, there was no need to deepen the wound. The most important thing was our family and the tribe.

Jake's point of view

I thought about the absence of my beloved and began to worry about it. I loved Lutsey, but I had seen the power of her rage before my disconnection. I could see the pain and hatred in her eyes. I hoped she hadn't found the link unit. Fortunately, we weren't far from the Tree of Souls, so I could find them without any trouble. And I lowered my ears, recognizing a familiar figure, with her bow drawn and armed with an arrow. And her howl confirmed my fears.

Lutsey: Come out of there, demons!

But the Toruk's shadow cut her off and she turned her gaze to me. Lowering her bow as I landed.

Lutsey: You!!!

I put my feet on the ground, staring at the woman I loved. She looked at me with rage, but also with sorrow and pain. And it hurt me to see it from her.

Me: Lutsey...

She stepped back, hissing, ears lowered. Her hand on her sword-wrist, ready to launch the assault.

Lutsey: You think it's enough just to be Toruk Makto, to forget everything we've done?

Me: I know nothing will erase it.

Lutsey: So what are you doing in front of me? I thought I made myself clear last time!

With that, she drew her blade and took a threatening stance. Daring me to step forward.

Me: Listen, Lutsey...

Lutsey: Don't talk to me, demon! Toruk or not, it makes no difference to me! My father is dead because of you! Our home is destroyed, because of you! Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you!