Chapter 43: The Battle of the Tree of Souls

Here's what's next, with the start of the Battle of the Tree of Souls and its high stakes for the People. Feel free to vote if you like it or comment!

Tsu'tey's point of view

We flew alongside Jake, me to his right and Lutsey to his left. My companion flying beside me, following my instructions to stay close. Her bow held in her hand, with its blood-red and sky-blue arrows. I didn't feel comfortable knowing she was in combat with our child inside her. But my partner had a warrior's heart and I couldn't contain that for long. I could only limit it, keeping an eye on her. The Toruk Makto was guiding our forces into battle. He looked around, as if asking for our support. I hastened to give it, raising my bow to signal that I would follow him. My wife followed suit with a shake of her head. The red paint decorating her body, with the blue covering her eyes, gave her a killer charm. I could feel my heart beating at the magnificent sight, falling even more in love with her. Next, he asked for his wife's support, undoubtedly the most important thing in his eyes. She inclined her head, but nothing more notable. He lowered his ears, showing his disappointment, but concentrated on the fight ahead. The yellow paint on his body, with the black paint covering his eyes, gave him a terrifying quality. Even I couldn't help but feel a certain icy chill at the sight of Lutsey in his war paint.

And so, the People's forces moved into position, sticking to the floating hills that sat in the sky above our most sacred sanctuary. Once the sounds of approaching metal birds could be heard, Jake decided to launch the assault. So, positioned between me and Lutsey, he went to the assembly point and raised his weapon, letting out a war cry to launch the attack. Lutsey and I assisted him, signaling to all our brothers and sisters that this was the decisive moment. Little by little, everyone deployed, ready to fight the ultimate battle for the People and Eywa.

Jake: I'm going to try a breakthrough brother, you all follow me.

Me: Maktoko!

We soon found ourselves above the cloud of metal birds, guided by Kunsip Axa, the executioner of our home. I quickly turned my head to see Delane flying to my right, following my request. I could hear her and Delane shouting war cries as I cocked my bow for the attack. So Jake opened our assault, catching one of the metal birds and hurling it at a rock which exploded. Then I killed one, aiming for the pilot, soon followed by my companion and Lutsey. More followed, launching our attack on the Sky People.

Delane's point of view

Our surprise attack was effective for the first few moments of the confrontation. However, as soon as they broke formation to launch the fight against us. And unfortunately, it didn't turn out in our favor.

I followed Tsu'tey as best I could. Unfortunately, we had to split up when a missile exploded on a hill. Skillfully, I used the environment to dodge the missiles and bullets coming from my pursuer. At a bend in the road, I clung to a hill, my bow cocked and waiting for the right moment. When the Scorpion arrived, I fired my arrow, which pierced the cockpit window and killed the pilot inside. The pilot lost altitude and crashed into an exploding hill. Suddenly, I heard the whistle of a projectile whistling through the air and Reypay instinctively stalled off the hill, narrowly avoiding a missile. The latter whistled through the air, before exploding at another floating rock. I began to fly, dodging the shots of another enemy. I spun and turned, before another shard of glass came along. Turning my head, I noticed the helicopter explode, and Tsu'tey's Ikran arrived beside me.

Tsu'tey: I told you to stay close to me, Delane.

Me amused: Well, I'm glad to see I've got my strong, brave warrior to save me.