Chapter 39: The fall of the HomeTree

Here's the next chapter with the fall of the House Tree. Feel free to vote if you like it or comment.

Lutsey's point of view

I was surprised to see the mothers-to-be, our eldest and also the children with their mothers taking refuge in the forest, as we prepared to welcome the Sky People. And why was Delane with them, on her Pa'li?

Me: That demoness is trying to save her life!

Tsu'tey: No. It was I who demanded that she stay away from the fighting.

Me: And why?

Tsu'tey: Because she's carrying our child. I want them safe. Are you going to hold that against me?

I hissed in rage, but turned my head. These were the legitimate concerns of a young father-to-be. So, holding my bow cocked, I stared at the horizon, my ears alert to the slightest sound of metal birds and ignoring the calls of traitors. At last, an alarm call followed by the shrill sound of spinning propellers alerted us. Soon, a swarm of metal birds appeared, led by a huge one whose powerful vibrations inflicted a gust of wind so strong I could feel it whipping my eyes and face, making it hard to see clearly. I stared at the head of this immense machine with hatred, already cocking my bow. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Tsu'tey moving away with the others. They were probably going to try and attack them from the air.

Suddenly, the huge metal bird began firing strange projectiles at the entrances to our Kelutral. The projectiles emitted a strange smoke. Judging by the coughing of the few recalcitrants who were forced to leave, it must have been toxic. In retaliation, we fired a stream of arrows at the great metal bird to defend our home. Unfortunately, nothing worked. Our projectiles barely scratched its glass. We carried on, more in despair than anything else. Then, all of a sudden, he started throwing fire hoses at the entrances, creating a huge inferno that devastated the whole interior. I watched in terror. The nightmare that had haunted me for years was coming true. And all because...

I turned my gaze to the source of it all. Grace and Jake were struggling, but it was more my companion I was staring at. He was looking at me with a pained face, but the damage was done. I turned my gaze away, trying to avoid watching him. For as much as I tried to hate him, my heart cried out the opposite. And this mixture of love and hate was tugging at me. The less I saw of him, the better. Father had realized the gravity of the situation and evacuated our people. Fortunately, some of them had already been evacuated. All that remained were the fighters and a few holdouts. So we began to head into the forest, abandoning our home. I looked at our burning home, weeping. Every detail of my nightmare was real. Except...the fall of the Kelutral! I heard the sound of explosions, metal birds unloading their explosive spears on the roots of the House Tree, before stopping. A cracking sound confirmed the dreaded next step. So I pulled myself together and hurriedly ordered my brothers and sisters to move away from this terrible wake, before doing the same. They struggled to react, but obeyed. Running to avoid the approaching catastrophe. And my fears were confirmed when I heard even louder creaking. Then I could see an ever-larger shadow covering us. I didn't dare look up, knowing full well what it was. I mustn't slow down, taking care to avoid all the wood residue. The further I went, the more wood there was. I missed one, scratching my right arm. Finally, the terrible fall stopped and I could only watch in disbelief as our Kelutral came to an end. I could hear the cries of our people as I sank to my knees, never to return. The moment I had so dreaded had arrived. I couldn't believe it. No...it must have been another nightmare.

Then I thought of Father, who was busy with the evacuation. Without thinking, I hurried to the ruins of the Tree House. The whole desolate scene was so similar to my dream. But this time, it was real! I tried to contain all my grief and rage against those accursed Sky People. Responsible for all our misfortunes. I searched desperately for my father, hoping to see the shadow of his chiefly garb. Then I heard a death rattle. No...Eywa, please...Unfortunately, as I made my way to the figure, I recognized my father. No...I released my bow, my mind refusing to believe what I was seeing. A piece of wood from the house tree was frozen to his stomach, promising certain death. I closed my eyes and opened them again, but the cruel reality was still there. Much to my dismay.