Chapter 30: The Shadows of the Moon

Here is the continuation with some clarifications on the family of Delane and Ben. Feel free to vote ( if you liked it) or comment.

Delane's Point of View

I was watching the rain outside, trying to get some sleep from the sound of the drops on the glass. It had already been over a month since we were at the omatikayas and it felt like it was lasting longer. And the further we went, the more I became attached to my life in the Blue Flute clan. Everything seemed so simple, though rough. And then I got attached to Tsu'tey, hammerhead. Even though he acted like a jerk at times, he also had a rather endearing protective side. And then...I felt so free, unfettered. What was the point of being human? I had been thinking about this for a while. Why condemn myself to return to a dying world, to an unequal and destructive system? And the worst part of it all was my family's involvement in it. All those murders...those massacres...I was ashamed to have that bloody past in my veins. When Ben left, I wondered about the reasons for cutting ties with us. And so I searched Mother's and Ben's files and our family history. And I was horrified at my discovery. Not only were my mother and brother involved in numerous assassination and massacre missions in the name of the GDR. But that was not the only bloody period. As I explored more about the history of the Ishuntzi family, I was able to discover the origins of our assassination heritage, dating back to the Middle Ages. At least, the writings that have come down to us. Murder by blade, poisoning, shooting, strangulation, drowning...I was horrified to read so many stories contained in the family archives. How could Mother bear this? And perpetuate it? But it explained why she was so experienced in fighting. In the way...of killing.

Knowing this, I moved out of the family mansion and into an apartment with my savings, hoping to get away from any reference to that cursed past. Starting with the Earth. And now this cursed colonel was rubbing it in my face! But maybe there was a definitive solution to my problem.

Voice: Aren't you asleep?

I recognized Grace's voice and closed my eyes, sighing.

Me: I can't sleep.

Grace: Why?

I turned to her, looking tired

Me: Too much on my mind. I...I'm thinking about transferring myself permanently, into my avatar.

She widened her eyes, hearing my statement.

Grace: Are you serious?

Me: I am. I don't want to join the Earth and I want to leave my human life behind.

Grace: You can't let go of the past, so easily. Even if you change your body, it will continue to pursue you. And it's not without risk.This kind of transfer can be deadly.

I looked her in the eyes, showing my determination to complete my project

Me: I am not afraid of death. And I can't stand this body anymore, reminding me of the burden I have to carry. And who would want to return to Earth, which is now just a dead planet? If I have to die here, then so be it.

Grace: And Jake?

Me: There comes a time in life when paths are drawn. And he will, one day, have to make his choice. I made mine.

I could see the day breaking, a signal that the village would rise.

Me, getting up: I will go to my caisson.

But as soon as I got up, the principal grabbed my arm

Grace: Are you sure? Once you go down this path, you can't go back.

Me: Yes, Grace.

Grace: And you're going to tell Jake?

I stared at my sailor friend, still asleep, before looking back at the program director, whom I have befriended over time.