Chapter 40: Evasion

Here's the next part, with the escape of Jake and his group. Feel free to vote, if you liked it, or comment.

Jake's point of view

I was holding my head, thinking about all the events. Everything I'd feared had finally happened. The Kelutral was slaughtered, leaving the clan without a home. And I was considered a traitor by the omatikayas but particularly, by Lutsey. And that hurt. I scanned the results of my sin, seeing vegetation once full of life given over to the flames. Then I'd feel my spirit leave, showing a disconnect. So, when the lid opened, I didn't have the strength to resist the soldier pulling me out. Heartbroken and weighed down by guilt.

Later,

With my hands on my head, I couldn't help replaying in my mind the moments I'd shared with Lutsey. But also, the terrible last ones. Her eyes showing all her rage and grief, hurling at me the terrible words I'd so dreaded.

Lutsey: Go away! You and your wake of death! I hate you, Jake Sully! And I pray to Eywa that our paths never cross again!

All I hoped was that my actions would have no influence. Either way, we're coming back to Earth. So I would live with this weight on my conscience for the rest of my life. At least, until I saw Trudy coming with a cart. That got our attention, wondering what her intentions were.

Trudy: I can't believe those green traitors get a steak.

Soldier: They get steak? I don't believe it! What are you talking about?

He was unwise enough to turn his back on her, and that was his mistake. Because the next thing he knew, the barrel of a Dart was pointed at his neck.

Trudy: Yeah...that you know. Lie down.

Confused soldier: Trudy..

Trudy: Come on, lie down!

The latter had to obey, before being knocked unconscious by a blow to the back of the head. Then she stared at us, holstering her weapon, before handcuffing him. Max ran to us and unlocked our prison.

So, after asking Max to stay on as a spy, we made our way to the hangar. After forcing a guard to step back at gunpoint, we began the take-off procedure. We hurried to board, but I had more difficulty because of my handicap. This alerted security and we soon found ourselves under enemy fire. Nonetheless, we managed to extricate ourselves and eventually take off. We shouted for joy, but unfortunately it was short-lived. I noticed Grace with a red stain on her lower abdomen and a bloody hand.

Grace: I feel like this is going to ruin my day.

Me: Grace is hit!

I looked around and realized that this was serious. If she wasn't treated as soon as possible, she could bleed to death. The first priority was to stop the bleeding, so I asked for a first-aid kit to prevent further blood loss.

Later,

Soon we were in ward 26. Me and Grace inside, while Norm, in his avatar, secured the winches used to transport the unit to a more secure location. Everything seemed to be going well, while I did my utmost to relieve Grace, whose struggle to remain conscious I could see. The scientist was lying on a link box, a pillow to raise her head a little and a blanket covering her body. I observed the wound, which had become a large red mark, despite the numerous bandages covering it. This showed how serious it was. Unable to go back and heal it with known means, I saw only one solution

Me: A real baby.

Grace: Are you all right?

Me: Yes. We'll take care of you.