Chapter Twelve

Rain took a moment to get a good view of his situation. He saw the hostage crew behind Eight, huddled and looking terrified of the giant beast before them. Eight was doing their best to defend them from the dark monstrosity, but Eight looked defeated already. They were barely able to stand on the patch of pastel lilac ink that kept them off of the thing's sticky ink. He took a moment to assess the monster he was about to face, although he didn't think he had a chance at winning. If Eight wasn't able to dent that thing, what was he supposed to do? Be an easy lunch? He examined the thing regardless. It was a hulking beast, its dark scales illuminated by the glowing purple ink flowing through the tubes on it's back that connected to a piece on its mouth. The tubes seemed to be also connected to bags on its back, like the exploding headpiece of a steelhead, all along its spine. It was much too big to be a regular steelhead. Rain wished Riot was here to explain..

Its visible scales were nearly black, and from what Rain could see, a helmet covered its eyes. It had a tacky looking dish on the top of its helmet instead. It opened its mouth, emitting a horrible gurgling noise. Its mouth glowed with the same shine as the ink in the tubes, and he saw the tubes shine more as the ink in its mouth seemed to be sucked up by the piece on its mouth, being transferred through the tubes to the bombs along its back. The bombs glowed, and finally they all unleashed in a torrent of fury onto the ground. It shot a giant blast of ink from its mouth at Eight.

Rain had to think fast, Eight was takoyaki if he didn't do something. He finally reached the end of the rail and leapt forward, throwing a bomb into the thing's blast right as it came out, splattering the dense ball of ink into many tiny splashes. The bomb landed in it's throat and exploded. The thing let out a screech and retreated backwards, coughing and spluttering. Rain landed near Eight, "What is that thing?!" He asked.

Eight looked at him with wide eyes, "I-I don't know." They mumbled, "I don't know how to defeat it, I-" They couldn't spit it out, "I thought I could do it but I can't." They cried, "I'm so useless.." They said.

Rain took a moment to talk to them while the creature was recovering, "No no.. You're Eight! You can do anything! R-right..?" He squeaked.

Eight frowned deeply, "Did you really think that..?" They replied, "Everyone makes me out to be this unstoppable hero but I can't do this alone! Am I weak for asking for help?" They asked. Rain froze, he'd been wondering the same exact thing this entire time.

He looked Eight in the eyes, "But.. Didn't you save the world? All by yourself?" He asked.

Eight shook their head, "You really thought I saved inkopolis on my OWN?" They said, "Maybe in fairy tales, but.." Their voice trailed off. Rain couldn't believe it. Eight wasn't the all powerful hero after all, "But.. You rescued that crew yesterday just fine! All by yourself!" He argued.

Eight shook their head, "I barely scraped by. Isabella had to step in and help me.." Eight said, looking overwhelmed, "I'm sorry I can't be the hero you're looking for." They said softly,

Rain felt hopeless for a moment. Eight was supposed to be the one that could save everyone, the one capable of anything! Rain had been wrong, so very wrong.

One of the hostage employees broke him from his doom-filled trance, "Uh, mister? You gonna slay that thing or not?!" They yelled. Rain was brought back to reality. He turned his attention to the beast as it lurked back towards them, illuminating the battlefield once more. It roared right in Rain's face, and as he stared down the horrible throat of death, there was a sudden clarity in his mind. Eight might not have saved the world alone, he might not have defeated the steeltrain by himself, he might not have recaptured Riot on his lonesome, but in all of those instances they still accomplished what needed to be done. Asking for help didn't make you weak, he realized. Working together was the only way to overcome the challenges laid before him.