Chapter 27: Please Dont Hate Me (The name is not a part of the book)

*Mitch POV*

I look to the hospital bed with joy that Jerome was still alive. The bed was empty. With confusion, I looked around for him. He wasn't there. I walked out to the receptionists desk to find out where he was.

"Excuse me, but I was wondering where Jerome Hughes is?"

She looked at me, pushing down her glasses.

"You don't know?" She asked me.
"Don't know what?"
"Jerome Hughes died early in the morning, 2:13 am. You were the one that called the nurses,"

I slumped to my knees. It wasn't a dream. I turned to walk away to my car, to leave to set up the funeral. The receptionist stopped me.

"He wanted you to have this,"

She handed me a dog tag. Engraved on it was, "Always Your Bacca,". I clasped it on around my neck. I looked at her.

"Thank you, this means a lot,"

She just looked at me sadly, like she felt pity for me. I got into our-my house to plan the wedding. That would take some time to get used to. Me not us, past tense. Jerome was dead.

-=+=-
Time skip to funeral
-=+=-

I sat in the chair up the front and watched everyone flock in. There was his family, a few teachers and some students. Suddenly, I stopped glancing around to look at a group of kids sitting around. Jerome's bullies. I walked up to them.

"What the hell do you think you're doing here?"
"Mourning the death of a friend,"

This sent me into a fit of rage

"HE WAS NEVER YOUR FRIEND. YOU BULLIED HIM. HE TRIED TO COMMIT SUICIDE BECAUSE OF YOU."

I quieted down a bit, panting heavily.

"Just, leave,"

The group looked at each other and scrammed. I went back up to the front to have one last look at Jerome. There he was, lying down, peaceful at last. Not that I helped. I lay down blue flowers next to him, for his favourite axe; Betty. My eyes started to tear up and I decided to leave. I couldn't take it anymore.

Back at the house, I lay down, feeling numb. Just plain numb. I looked at the dog tag. A little smile grew from my lips. He always knew what to get me.