Chapter 34- Bad News

*dedicated to readerfortheworld because you are an inspiration to everyone everywhere...thanks kiddo :^) *

"THAT WAS AWESOME!" Kenneth screams as we walk back into the waiting room. I just smile and help him take of his jacket. They were all eagerly chatting about how much fun they had and how excited they were to do it again. I just let them talk about it. I was going to be the be the one to break their bubble. Though the guys did seem to enjoy it, I couldn't be sure.

"I'm glad you guys had fun," I say to them. Walking them to their rooms I give each child a kiss on the head and tuck them into bed. Today was a day that I left that wing smiling. They were going to be okay. They had fun. I felt accomplished.

I waltzed by the receptionist desk and kindly asked her for my backpack. I told her the kids had already ate and I gave her a mini run down on what we did.

"Uh, Miss. Lipp?" Mrs. Dot quickly says to me, just before I exit the cancer ward. I turn around to face her, waiting for her to finish her sentence. "Could you please wait a moment, a doctor would like to talk with you." My breath catches in my throat, this can't be good. These doctors never want to talk to me. I honestly don't want to talk to them either.

"Yeah, sure." I whisper, the color completely gone from my face. My freckles probably stood out like penguins in Florida. I clutched my hands nervously together in front of me and squeezed them every time I took a breath. My head hung as I waited for the doctor, I was not looking forward to what he had to say.

"Miss.Lipp?" A masculine voice says, I look up and see a kind looking 40 year old man gazing down on me. I nod my head and stand up, brushing my jeans, I awkwardly try to avoid his gaze. "Would you come to my office for a moment?" Even though he kept asking questions, I knew he was already well aware of the answer. The man walked out of the waiting room and headed towards a long hallway. I sighed, did I really want to know whatever he was going to tell me? Not really. Is it probably very important that I know? Yes. With that in my mind, I followed him.

"So what's up?" I try to causally ask as I take a seat in his office. I'm wringing my hands in my lap and my legs are crossed so I can at least attempt to hide my nervousness.

"For starters, I am Doctor Schmidt," I incline my head in greeting then wait for him to continue. "I am Azuls doctor and I had been noticing some very strange changes in her bodies reaction to certain things, so I investigated. It had been denying certain foods and liquids, she'd bruising much more easily, and she was incredibly weak." He breathes in deep and averts his gaze from mine. "The cancer cells keep multiplying, they're over taking everything we're doing for chemo." If my face could have gotten any whiter, it just did. "We have a new method we'd like to try, I think it will work, but we can't predict how Azul will react."

"Do the new procedure," then as an after thought, I whisper, "that's one life you need to save." My gaze meets his and I could feel him looking at me with a large amount of pity. With that, I got up and I left. I couldn't be here anymore. I can stand the smell of the hospital chemicals. Everything was suddenly to white. There wasn't any air to breathe.

I ran. I ran hard and fast. I ran for that little girls life. I ran in hope and fear. I wasn't paying attention to anything. I didn't CARE about anything else.

"AGHHHH!" I heard the scream to late, I had already rammed right into the person and sent us both falling to the concrete sidewalk. Luckily, they caught themselves and magically supported us both. The first thing I did upon regaining some sanity, was stand up off the poor person. Only then, did I have a good look of who it was. Oliver.

"Sorry." I sheepishly say, though I'm not really sure if I meant it.

"Quite alright." He grimaces, standing up I can see the scratch marks on his hand from where the concrete broke through the skin. "Where are you in such a rush too?" Not too. From. I don't say anything and he gets the hint. "Are you okay." No. I can see him starting to get antsy as I don't answer any of his questions. "Are you going to be okay?" This time I shrug my shoulders as I feel the tears pooling in my eye.