Chapter 24: The Lightening Stone

*LAST CHAPTER OF BOOK 1 :D*

   ~Four Years Ago (when Emma was 15)~

I crouched behind a boulder as I watched a boy a few years older than me wander the forest.

 My forest.

What was he doing here? Nobody ever comes here. I carefully went from rock to rock, curiosity consuming me. I got up and hid behind a tree. The boy had auburn hair and bright blue eyes. He wore a brown shirt with a tunic and blue pants. His footsteps rustled through the tall grass. I jumped behind another tree even closer to him, my feet sloshing through a mud puddle and leaving footprints.

The boy turned around and his gaze focused on my footprints. Oh, why was I so careless to not even think about footprints? "Hello?" He called, walking towards me. As he came around the tree, I went around the tree in the opposite direction. It was stupid, because he could hear me and he already knew I was there, but I didn't want to face him.

When he wasn't looking, I dashed into a set of trees. I knew that he heard me, but I just wanted to get away. I ran as fast as I could. I wound around trees in a maze-like pattern and stopped behind a wide, angel oak tree. I leaned against it and breathed heavily as I listened carefully for any indication that the boy was looking for me. I didn't hear anything.

"You're the Darkstalker, aren't you." I whipped around to see the boy right behind me! How had he moved so silently? I backed up a step, but tripped over a large tree root and tumbled to the ground. In self-defense, I automatically lifted my hand up, about to use my powers.

"—Wait!" I didn't move my hand, but I stopped the magic from forming. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"Why are you in my forest?" I demanded.

"Your forest? Well, gee, I seem to forget seeing your name on it somewhere!" He fired back.

I gave him a 'You really don't want to test me,' look, a little of my magic now swirling above my hand.

"Okay, I'm sorry." He held his hands out in surrender.

"Who are you?" I slowly stood up.

"Cam, my name's Camber."

"Why are you here?" 

"I was sent by Drago Bludvist—" I tackled him to the ground and pinned his shoulders.

"Why did he send you?!" To my surprise, Camber flipped me over, him now pinning me.

"He wanted me to use this on you." Still pinning me, Cam reached into his pocket and pulled out a necklace with a purple crystal. I gaped at the stone, black lightning swirling inside the gem.

"What's that?" I asked. As I stared at the stone, fear crept inside me. My body felt cold all of a sudden just from looking at it. And I had no idea why.

"It will take your powers away, and if I were to give it to Drago and he would put it on, he could control you through your powers."

"No, please!"

"Relax. I'm not going to use it."

"Y-you're not?"

"No. I wouldn't do something like that. I may be a thief, but I'd like to think I have some honor."

I stared at him, puzzled. "Then why are you here? Why are you telling me this?"

"Well, I'm here because until now, I was going to use it."