- 17 -

"Good morning, Tulsa! It's looking like another cold day, with temps in the lower--" My hand slams the alarm clock on my nightstand, sending the room into another wave of silence.

      I sit up, feeling a spike of pain in my temples as the sunlight pours through the threadbare, feeble curtains. 

     It was cold. Colder than usual.

     I drag myself out from underneath the blanket, my bare feet hitting the floor with an awakening jolt. My body responds with a sudden shiver, spindling its way down my spine and riddling my skin with goosebumps. 

    Jeez, I thought. Heat should be working just fine...

     I flip on the light switch and take a look at myself in the cracked, full-length mirror leaning in the corner of my room. 

    I noticed I'd lost a significant amount of weight since dad died, and I was pretty small before. But then again, I wasn't eatin' like I used to. My clothes didn't fit that well anymore and my ribs poked out of my skin more than they ever had. 

   Running through my closet, I decided on a navy button-up and jeans to wear to school. Then I shrugged on my leather jacket and tousled my thick, black hair before I added a little eyeliner and called it good.

    I grabbed my Jay's uniform and shoved it into my backpack, slinging it over my shoulder and heading downstairs to get my boots. 

     I could feel it now. The cold was almost atmospheric in the house. 

    Usually it gets colder in the mornings but not this cold. This was the cold I'd hoped and prayed wouldn't fall upon me.

     I picked up my dampened boots and pulled them on, then walked to the end of the hallway and inspected the thermostat before I left for school.

     Mockingly, it seemed to be working just fine. 

     I tapped the silver knob a few times just for spite, but I knew the heat was out. 

     So, I just turned the knob to the number 80 and hoped for the best before I got back from work tonight.

    Great, I rolled my eyes. Just when the cold snap hits Tulsa.

     I listened to my heavy boots plod down the hallway as I made my way back to the kitchen. 

    My eyes glanced at the clock above the window: 7:28. 

    It was about a twenty-minute walk from my house to Will-Rogers High, and I'd best be gettin' a move on if I wanted to be there on time.

    So, with another long sigh, I grabbed my blade and keys and shoved them into the usual pockets of my jeans. 

    Then I left, not bothering to lock the door behind me. There was nothin' in there that was valuable to me anymore. 

    The cold was awful. 

     It was the kind of biting, morning cold that made your throat sore every time you took a breath. 

    It was the kind of cold that made the vapors of your breathing almost freeze to the air. 

    It was Tulsa cold. 

    And I absolutely hated it.

    "Hey, Diana!" Carolyn's voice rang out from behind me as I got my biology books from my locker.

    "Hey, Carolyn." I replied, turning to greet her.