- Chapter 6 -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Kerem~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What could it be?" Hande asks, frightened, running a hand over Maya's forehead.

"It could be a stomach virus... or something like that," I suggest.

"And what do we do?" Anil asks.

"Let's see if there's anything in the first aid kit that might help."

"It's nothing serious, is it?" Belma asks, and the truth is that I have no idea, but I'm going to do my best so that the girl doesn't suffer anymore.

"Don't worry Belma," I answer, trying to reassure her, "whatever it is, we are going to solve it,"

Anil puts the first aid kit on the sand. After searching for a while the only thing we found is a pill for dizziness, I guess it is not the best, but it's the only thing we have.

"Belma, don't worry," Hande says convincingly, "I think it's gastroenteritis, it's normal, we're eating badly," she turns to the girl, "are you sure you haven't eaten anything unusual?"

The girl lowers her eyes not wanting to look at us.

"But Maya, what did I tell you? I told you not to eat anything that grandma didn't eat..." Belma says reproachfully.

"It was a fruit... it was delicious," excuses Maya.

"Which fruit was it?" The little girl stands up and points to a box found on the plane filled with plums. I breathe a sigh of relief that she didn't eat some fruit from the bushes on the island, we don't know if they are poisonous. "Did you eat a lot of them?" I ask her and the girl nods ashamedly. I caress her hair tenderly "well, it's nothing... just like if she had eaten a whole bag of jelly beans" I smile "Don't do it again, ok?"

After stabilizing the situation a bit, I leave Belma and Maya and head to the water to cool off a bit. I look towards them and see how Hande is still there, making the girl as comfortable as possible. I smile. These days Hande behaves with Maya as if she were her mother.

I have to admit I was scared, if it was something more serious we wouldn't have been able to do much. But I think Maya will get over it.

At this moment, Hande appears next to me, we are becoming inseparable it seems.

"I've told Belma that I can help her take care of Maya," she says suddenly.

"You've grown fond of the little girl, haven't you?" I look at her.

"She must have had a really hard time."

"Your maternal instinct is hitting hard," I say amused.

"You idiot" she laughs.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

That night is different, maybe because of the alcohol on that beach. Maya has not thown up again. After dinner everyone went to sleep and Hande and I stayed on the first shift, as usual. Near the fire, we began to take drinks from the bottle that had been found that morning.

"Do you like the stars?" she suddenly asks, looking up at the sky.

"I love them" I say looking at her.

"Why are they so beautiful and so far away?" she says coming closer to me, almost lying on top of me and I almost have a heart attack having her so close. She moves her face laughing and making her lips brush mine. Hande takes advantage of the situation and moves her face from one side to the other so that our lips touch. There's no doubt Hande is already drunk.