JUST AS CLUELESS

My heart begins to race at a speed that must be trying to catch up to Elliot's because I suddenly find myself taking deeper breaths.

I rack my brain but can't recall any of the laws pertaining to this in the state of California. "Y-you can't do that.. that's illegal... isn't it?"

"No, it's not. I am well within my rights to discipline my children however I see fit, so long as the punishment is reasonable and does not cause injury." He looks to Eli, adding, "I will never beat you."

Leaning forward, Elliot splays his hands on the table and glares at Luca. "You won't even touch me, old man."

"A beating and a spanking are two very different things," Luca says, ignoring Eli's declared warning entirely. "If you're so concerned about it, would you like a demonstration?"

Elliot scoffs and straightens to cross his arms over his chest. "No."

"Are you sure? It could put the fear you're obviously feeling out of your mind. You'll know what to expect."

"I'm not afraid of you," Eli snaps again.

"Good. I don't ever want you to be."

"Daddy, I'm braver than Eli a'cuz I know your spankings won't hurt. Mommy's never did."

Luca's eyes snap to me and he raises a brow. "I thought she didn't believe in consequences?"

"She'd pat our... she'd just.." I make the lightest tap to my thigh, then roll my eyes at how stupid it feels. "She'd never actually do it."

"Hmm," Luca hums. "Well, at least the concept isn't completely lost on you all."

Elliot rolls his yes. "What mom did, and what you're saying you will do are two totally different things. Seems like the concept of you not touching us is completely lost on you."

Luca's eyes tighten and his brows furrow as he leans forward slightly. I find myself wanting to lean away and he isn't even directing that look at me, but Eli stands firm. He's only a couple inches shorter than me but he's a heck of a lot braver.

"Young man, I don't want to throw my weight around on day two, so let's just settle this here and now... if you follow the very simple rules of safety and respect, we won't even have to worry about consequences and this conversation can be over. Capisce?" When Elliot scrunches up his face at the foreign word, Luca says, "Understand?"

Eli snaps his teeth together before grinding out, "Yeah, sure. Whatever, man."

Luca shakes his head. "The only appropriate response when an adult asks you that question is either yes or no, sir or ma'am. So I ask again, do you understand?"

Elliot breaths out a laugh and gives him an insincere smile.

"Yes, ma'am," he sneers before storming out of the kitchen.

Luca's muscles tense as if it's taking everything in him not to follow Eli, and I appreciate his efforts because I don't want corporal punishment to be on the table regarding my siblings. He looks like he's ready to whoop Eli's ass and I don't think I could handle that. It hurts hearing him cry over the loss of mom, I don't want to have to listen to him crying due to physical pain inflicted by the person who is supposed to be caring for him.

"Detective, I—"

"It's Luca, Clover," he says in a clipped tone. "If I'm to call you Clover, then you're going to call me Luca. You at least know my real name. Use it."

I blink, feel the warmth of anger spread throughout my chest.

"Bella go upstairs and check on Eli, please."