ONE HELL OF A REMINDER

Luca is at the precinct faster than I would've liked, pulling into a parking space in just as big of a hurry as when he left the gallery's lot.

His seatbelt buckle crashes against the window as he throws it off himself so he can get out and rip my door open.

Stepping back, he demands in a low tone. "Let's go."

I don't argue. I don't say a word. I know a loss when I see one, and no form of protest will help me win this. I simply exit the vehicle and allow him to grip my elbow and guide me inside.

He leads me to an empty interrogation room and sits me down in a cold metal chair while he settles into a partial sit atop the table in front of me, giving me flashbacks of when we first met. Except this time, he isn't smiling.

We stare at each other for along moment before he finally lets out a dark laugh and shakes his head. For some reason, it completely unnerves me and I drop my eyes to my hands that are clasped tightly in my lap.

"So," he says so candidly you wouldn't think he just angrily drove here at the speed of light. "How'd you like Irvine?"

I sigh and lean back in my chair. "You already know I didn't tour the college."

"Uh-huh. I just wanted to hear you say it."

When I glance up at him his jaw is clenched, and his arms are crossed. He looks like he's just waiting for the right moment to rip me apart.

"What do you want me to say, Luca. You seem to have it all figured out already."

My tone isn't flippant, it's... tired. I'm tired. Part of me wants to let it all out, but a bigger part of me doesn't want to. I've grown to like the life I created for myself and there's far more opportunities waiting in the near future for me, but only if I keep my secrets tucked away.

"Why were you here, Clover? Or should I say, Cassidy Crane?"

I swallow and shake my head. "That's not... that's just an alias. One my mom gave me."

Luca lets out a disgusted snort and I glare up at him. He loses his smirk of distaste and glares right back at me. "Don't look at me like that. Don't you dare. Not after all the shit you've put me through."

"All the shit I've put you through? What the hell are you talking about?"

He slams his hand down on the table and it makes me jump out of my seat. Luca stands too and we're now on opposite sides of the small table, glaring at each other.

"Do you have any idea how terrified I was when I saw your face come up on security footage? When Cassidy Crane turned out to be you?"

"Security footage? How did..I-I thought I..."

Welp, I screwed up. I didn't wipe all the cameras clean enough. Now any outsiders who wanted to find out about these meetings will have seen my face too. Shit.

"You're good, kid, but not that good."

Pft. Whatever.

I wave my hand dismissing his remark. "Enough about me, what about Craig? Do you have enough for the charge to stick? Because if you don't, and he walks..." I shake my head, unable to even think of such an awful thing.

Luca gives me a slow, resolute nod. "He's not going anywhere. We got him."

For the first time, I feel the weight that's been sitting on my chest lift. I take a shuddering breath in and fight the tears that want to come.

"Finally," I whisper.

Luca stands there, respectful and quiet while I process this.

After a moment, I grin. "I can't believe I did it."