WITH ME

Once Bella is asleep, I tip toe out and cross the hall to Elliot's room, knocking softly on the door. It quickly opens and he's staring at me with overwhelming anticipation. He doesn't even say anything, he just backs away and sits on his bed.

I step in and close the door behind me, leaning against the cool wood.

"Well?" he finally asks.

"I got him. Mom's killer has been arrested and he won't be getting off."

He immediately looks to the floor as he lets out a shaky breath and starts rubbing his palms up and down his thighs.

"Who?" he asks with his eyes still trained on the floor.

"Eli, it doesn't—"

"Who?" he repeats more forcefully.

"....Craig Melanson."

His eyes snap up to mine and a look of shock that probably mirrored mine makes his face go white.

"It's okay," I soothe even though I feel sick to my stomach.

His breaths start coming quicker and his body starts shaking.

"Elliot..." I cross the room and crouch down in front of him and take his face in my hands. "Elliot. Look at me. You need to slow your breaths."

His eyes go wide and he grips onto my wrists. "I-I c-can't, I—"

"Shit," I spit, realizing he's falling into a full-blown panic attack. "Eli, it's okay."

I release his face and pull him into a crushing hug, doing my best to hold onto his shaking frame. Suddenly gut-wrenching cries interrupt the ragged breaths and I squeeze my eyes closed as I hold onto him tighter. His cries piercing my ears and stabbing my heart.

His hands fist my shirt and my heart breaks with each sob that wracks his body.

There's a quick knock to the door but before I can answer, I hear Luca say, "I'm coming in," and he enters. He sits on the bed beside Eli and starts rubbing his back.

He looks at me and asks softly, "What's going on?"

"He asked.. he.." I stumble over what to say because if I tell him he asked how my little getaway went, he'd know that Eli knew what I was up to and I doubt he'd approve of that. "I-I told him about why I went away."

Luca's jaw clenches, obviously picking up on a lie being woven into what I'd just said, but he simply nods and continues to comfort Eli. "Let it out, buddy."

To my utter shock, Eli doesn't try to wipe away his tears or suck it up. Instead, he lets go of me and tucks himself into Luca's right side and does exactly what Luca said... he lets it out.

All of it.

Months of pent-up grief and pain pours down his young face and I don't even realize I'm crying too until droplets fall upon my arm.

I look down at the substance and wipe it on my pants. This isn't my turn to break down, so I quickly dash away my tears and stand.

"I'll leave you two alone."

I turn to leave when a hand grips my wrist and tugs me back. I fall onto Luca's left thigh and his while his right hand comforts Eli, his left comes up to gently squeeze the back of my neck. It shifts to the back of my head and he guides me down to his shoulder.

"Both of you," he says softly. "Let it out. I'm here."

His words were like releasing an ocean previously held back by a dam made of straw. It was nothing special or profound, but it gave way to what Eli and I both had needed but couldn't find.