PICTURE PERFECT

Christmas came and went in a whirlwind of homemade cookies, wrapping paper, and twinkling lights. More toys now fill the room I share with Bella than there is available floor space.

I had once dread the first holidays without mom, and even though we miss her, having Luca and Nonna fill in some of the gap made it hurt a lot less.

*

Elliot roughly drops his plate into the sink, causing a wave of soapy water to cascade over the edge and soak the front of my shirt.

"Thanks," I grind out. "Appreciate it."

"No problem."

He starts walking away and I'm done. I slam down the fork in my hand onto the counter—he's lucky I didn't chuck it at him.

"What is your problem?!" I hiss.

Whirling around, he takes a step forward. "You know what my problem is."

"If I knew what your problem was, I wouldn't be asking, Elliot."

He looks around, then quickly comes closer to whisper in my ear.

"Nonna is leaving in about two hours. When she's gone, shit's gonna get real."

"What the hell does that mean?" I whisper back.

Eli pulls back and looks at me in surprise before rolling his eyes and leaning back to my ear again. "It means you're in for it. For all the shit you pulled. Dad was trying to give you a period of grace to kind of.. I dunno.. realize how big of a freakin' idiot you are? And now that Nonna's leaving.. your time's up."

My heart picks up its pace and I step away. "I didn't forget," I snap. "I was just... conveniently not remembering.... but that's my problem and it still doesn't explain your attitude."

Elliot scratches the back of his head, then runs his fingers through the long dark strands on top. His hand falls to his side as his hair falls back into place across his brows.

"I'm just not looking forward to listening to it for one....."

When he doesn't say anything else, I prod, "And for two?"

"And for two, we both know he's gonna find out."

I stare at him, not understanding what the hell he's talking about but then it hits me and I nearly laugh when I realize. All of this fussing is because he's worried Luca will find out about what he knew.

"You were never truly in the know, Elliot. That's a truth that I will repeat over and over again if need be."

Elliot bites his bottom lip, then shakes his head. "He can read between the lines, Clover. He'll ask just the right things to—"

"He won't find out. I promise you."

He looks at me skeptical. "And what if he does?"

"How many times do I have to tell you, you were never truly in the know?"

"Clover, you're telling me and I don't even believe you." He sighs and looks down at his sneakers. "Dad definitely won't."

"Dad definitely won't what?" Luca asks, striding into the kitchen at the worst possible moment.

Eli's head snaps up and his eyes are huge as he stares into my own.

"He.. um.." I quickly rack my brain. "He thinks you won't buy him the new PS5."

"You're right," Luca grins, reaching between Eli and I to grab an apple out of the fruit bowl. "I won't."

"See?" Eli says to me, falling right into step and even letting disappointment leech into his tone.