Chapter Twenty-four

“Hurting someone with the truth is better than making them happy with a lie.”

Rosalyn's POV

"What the hell, Cade?" I yelped, stumbling backward. My palms rested on the wall to balance my weight, before raising my chin and steadying my rugged breath by placing my palm on my chest, puffing out and puffing in the air. Repeating the cycle for a couple of seconds, my heart beat quietened down and my breathing was even.

"Did I scare you?" He voiced smoothly and took a dangerous stride forwards while I stumped back by two brisk steps.

I shuddered, drawing in a sharp breath as he marched into the closet, his large frame shadowing the doorway. "Put some clothes on," I shouted at him but he didn't listen. 

"Make me." He wrapped his arms around himself, biceps and veins bulging out of his arms.

His smooth impeccable skin glistened under the lights. Droplets of water dripped from his shiny brown hair to his forehead then slid down his face, brushing the side of his lips and landing on his chest.

Actuality dawned upon me when I realized I was checking him out. With a vigorous shake of my head to dismiss the image of his hearty body, my eyelashes twinkled and my eyes scanned the artwork situated on the wall behind his 6'4 figure.

It was a butterfly. I had seen the painting before but never paid attention to it because they were many others hanging on the wall but this particular one piqued my attention. It was a red butterfly with white strips on its frail feathers which could wither by a mere touch of the fingers.

My mouth gaped when I discovered that the butterfly on the wall was the same one as the tattoo on his chest, but it oddly seemed familiar to me.

The memory became hazy as I failed to wrap my head around it. As I zoned back out of the strange recollection, a strange question rang in my head.

Have I met Cade before? 

It felt as though I had, but I couldn't recall any of it, not a single memory of him in my past.

His aura was familiar, his eyes were strangely always in my mind as if haunting me every time I closed my eyes.

I was taking a liking to him but I'd never felt this anonymous feeling for him or anyone until I saw that artwork. It intrigued something inside of me—guilt and fear.

"How would I put some clothes on when my clothes are in the closet?" Cade's voice snapped me out of my brooding.

"I-I–huh...I don't know." I stuttered as I found it hard to put my words together.

His eyebrows rose as he didn't expect the reaction I gave off. I gathered the little confidence and courage I had left so he wouldn't have the ideology that I was affected by him. "You should have told me, than walk around naked." I wore a straight face, my eyes daring not to look down at whatever was dangling down there.

"Do you know how amazing it feels to be naked? You should try that." His red lips extended in a sly smile as he scanned my body, his eyes hanging around my bodacious assets like he was reading a newspaper. 

"You can't walk around naked when someone is around. What if Diaka comes in and sees you?" I asked avoiding his immodest gloms on my breasts. The little girl would be frightened upon seeing her father butt-naked.

"There's a reason there's a lock to my room," he pointed his chin to the door. As he spun his head to face me, he took one step forward to the point where I could feel his presence. "I can be naked when and wherever I want. It's my goddamn room and house. Anyone who sees me should fuck off, I don't care." His breath fanned my face—burning my eyes due to the peppermint of the toothpaste