Sixteenth lie

I watch the sun fall into the ocean. It's truly beautiful. I sigh. All day I've been looking for her, but I don't have the slightest idea of her whereabouts.

When I was 11, I stumbled into this lady. She told me she was named lady luck.

"I see some immense pleasure in an upcoming event. Remember, if you ever find me, consider it luck, and I'll help you." She had told me.

I had just stared at her. She smiled and patted my head. Then she left. A few days later, my birthday came and I got my first phone. I was so happy since I could impress my friends, and I thought of her. Every year, I see her at the most random times. Every prediction realized. I never told her my name, or anything but she knew.

I snap back to reality when I hear someone sit next to me. Thinking it was Austin, I say;

"Austin, go away."

She laughs." Not the best way to say hello. I've heard you've been looking for me."

"Ohmigosh. I'm so sorry. I just-"

"It's okay. But the time is near,my girl. Spend your last moments happy and surrounded with the people you love."

Was I gonna die? She was never wrong. Who was she?

As if she read my thoughts she answers.

"You know me oh too well. I'm just in disguise. Until we meet again." She gets up and leaves.

"Wait! I've never told you my- oh never mind." I try to introduce my name but she's already gone when I turn my back. I need to get back home.

***
I guess I was wrong when I said I wasn't going to be spending anything anytime soon. Today only I spent around 60 dollars in food and transport.

I knock on Austin's door. He opens before my third knock and kisses me.

When he lets go he blushes. " I'm sorry, I was just worried sick and scared to lose you and.."

"It's okay. It's my fault. I just needed to get somewhere. My parents probably already signed the adoption papers. Again."

"What?"

"Uh, nothing." .

"Aliyah, are you adopted?"

"Let's go inside."

Austin pours some water into my cup.

"You see, I never knew who my birth parents were. From my first adoptive family, they found me on their doorstep. After no one claim me, they took me in. It was nice. Until I was 4. Then they put me for adoption because since my arrival, weird things have been going on. A few days after, the couple and their kids all died. Suicide the police said. I was put in 6 other families. They all put me for adoption, and they all died shortly after. My current parents were my latest. I also had the closest relationship with them."

"I see. Well it's only fair I tell you where my parents are." He says. " my mom was a beautiful mom. She gave healthy births to me and my sister, until she was to have a third child when I was 7. A few hours before she was due, she had told me what I told you that night at the hospital. I had stopped talking not to long before. When she gave birth, not only did the baby die 13 minutes after its was born, so did my mom. It struck my dad so hard. He started drinking, and smoking. It wasn't long before he started bringing prostitutes home. One day everything killed him. One last shot, one last smoke. Killed him. Luckily, my sister had just turned 19 a few weeks earlier, and took custody of me. She got a job to support us."

I hugged him. I've been complaining about my two, alive, parents while he has none.

What now? I'm most likely to die anytime soon. Should I tell him?

"Hey, what are you going to be? " He asks.

"What?"

"For Halloween? Isn't it your birthday too?"

"What's the date?"

"25th of October."

"What?!"

"Do you want us to go shopping tomorrow?"

"Uh, sure."

What had happened? A few hours ago it was.. I check my phone. 9:34, October 25. What's going on? Is it because I'm going to die that time's accelerating?

"Uh, I'm going to sleep." I say.

"Are you okay? Is there something wrong? Aliyah!" He says behind me.

I slam and lock the door. Then the paranoia kicks in.

I'm going to die.

Does everybody know they're going to die? Do they keep it to themselves?

Why?

Austin.

What about him?

Will he lose someone else?

Me.

Where will I go?

Shut up. You know where you're going.

***
Yup! The book is almost completed! Sequel or not?