Chapter 25 - On Fire

Tonight, after dinner, I sat down at my desk to study my psychology course. The ambiance had been heavy all day and I knew that Bloom had something to do with it. Her behaviour had changed dramatically in the last few days, she was aggressive, hostile and sarcastic, so much so that in the evenings we would isolate ourselves in our rooms. I felt sorry for Aisha, who shared a room with her and had to put up with her tantrums.

Just as I had opened my books, as did Stella, I heard voices from the next room.

"Here we go again," I sighed, already annoyed.

"Aisha has a strong character, she tends to seek the last word, even in front of Bloom," added my friend before putting on some earplugs.

I decided not to follow her lead and listen to what was being said.

"I saw you with Beatrix earlier, did you make a deal or what?" the water fairy interrogated, very upset.

"Let go of me! She's nicer than she looks, and she's not always policing me!" my sister roared.

"Because we're policing you, maybe?" she retorted, ironically.

"Yes, and it's starting to get on my nerves!"

"All right, then, go and join her, if she's your new friend!" Aisha exclaimed, hurt.

"No, you're the one who's going to move out of this room," refused Bloom in a softened tone. "I'd like you to swap places with Jade."

"Fine, as long as I'm away from you, that's fine. But I'm really sorry for her..."

Huh?! There was no way I was going to spend even one night in the same room as my sister. She must have had an idea in mind, given the scene the night before, and I was almost afraid for my life.

I came out of my room to make my point, with Stella on my heels, and Musa and Terra already in their room.

"I'm not switching rooms, Bloom!" I protested, shaking my head.

She approached me with a sick smile.

"We'd be fine together," she shushed close to my ear.

"No thanks, I need some peace and quiet," I grumbled, seething inside.

"If one of you could help, I'd feel better, because I can't stand her right now," Aisha moaned, turning to our three friends.

Musa took a step back, very reluctant.

"I need peace and quiet too, I'm an empath, like Jade," she justified herself with a nervous smile.

Aisha turned to Stella and Terra.

"I'm sorry, but I don't have the strength to move all my plants," the latter apologised.

Stella looked around, realizing that she was the only one who could help our friend.

"Okay, I'll switch rooms, but only because I have earplugs," she joked.

Aisha jumped on her neck as Bloom was sulking in her corner, probably frustrated by my refusal, but I didn't care. I was a little sad that Stella was leaving the room, we got on very well, and she had been my roommate since the beginning; but I welcomed Aisha, I liked her a lot, she was quiet, studious, persevering, and had already offered me some form of tutoring during the first days. I could also arrange with my grandma to help her in turn if she ever felt the need.

My two friends quickly swapped rooms as they moved their suitcases and wardrobe contents. Just as Aisha was about to come in and close the door, I suddenly felt my locket burning my skin. What was going on? Was it Rosalind who had access to it? Or was my locket trying to communicate something to me? However, the burning was getting worse and worse, so I had to take it off and put it on my bedside table.