Chapter 28 - Tormented Past

What Jade doesn't know...

***********************************************************************

The next afternoon, Beatrix was about to knock on the door of the headmistress' office. During the morning, the girl had received an email from her summoning her to a very important meeting at around half past four. When she had opened the message, a thousand questions had crossed her mind, and she had not accepted the meeting with a light heart. She had distrusted Dowling and her clique like the plague ever since her dad had been arrested. And she hoped the fairy hadn't summoned her about that...or about a lost locket.

She took a deep breath and knocked curtly on the door, which opened within five seconds.

"Beatrix! I'm glad you came, I have to talk to you about something very important," Farah greeted her and invited her to sit in the couch.

The student said a brief "good afternoon" before following her into her office, not feeling really confident.

"Before I tell you anything, can you promise to listen to me until the end?" she questioned with goodness. "Your safety is at stake, and the safety of others."

Beatrix tried to remain unflappable, even though she was not entirely comfortable with the situation.

"Okay, I'm listening," she answered, stressed.

"I learned something about your identity not long ago. In a conversation with the Queen and Rosalind, your daddy blurted out that you were a witch and not an air fairy as you always thought," the headmistress declared diplomatically.

The girl felt her heart suddenly stop. She, a witch?! It was impossible, her dad would not have lied to her all these years! She couldn't imagine such a thing, it was beyond her comprehension.

"No," she protested, incredulous. "I am an air fairy, you have seen me using my powers over and over again."

"Beatrix, I'm sorry, but I have evidence to back up your dad's words," Miss Dowling insisted kindly. "Rosalind is manipulating you as she does Bloom, because she needs a witch to perform the ritual that will allow her to take over the Dragon's Flame thanks to the two medallions during the next eclipse, it's all written in an ancient book. No good will come of this, and the Otherworld will be under threat."

The teenager stood up abruptly, unconvinced and angry at Farah's portrayal of Rosalind.

"You're lying, just like Silva, Harvey and the Queen!" she shouted, fists clenched. "She put my dad away and you're all accomplices, but I know Rosalind will help me free him!"

"No, she won't do anything for you, you're so naive to believe that," the headmistress replied sternly. "She only cares about herself, nothing else, even if it means killing when she doesn't need her puppets anymore."

Beatrix did not react as Farah put the book on the small coffee table to show her the prophecy. At that moment, the girl turned and headed for the door.

"I've heard enough, I don't care about your false stories, goodbye!" she exclaimed as she opened the door.

"Beatrix! Wait!" her interlocutor insisted, in vain.

Too late, she had already slammed the door, leaving her alone, dazed. Farah fell back into her office chair, distraught. She had played her last card, and she would clearly have hoped for another reaction from her, that she would accept her condition as a witch, and continue to pretend with Rosalind, so as to be able to trap her later, and stop this Great Evil that her daughters' granddad had spoken of. Unfortunately, it was not to be.