Chapter 36 - War Is On

What Jade doesn't know...

****************************************************

In the middle of the forest, distant footsteps began to be heard. The ground shook, dead leaves crumpled ever so slightly, and branches cracked under the weight of each foot. Like a thunderstorm rumbling in the distance, a herd seemed to be approaching at great speed.

Indeed, a group of about a hundred Blood Witches, led by a few members, including Shanice and Susy, were running towards Alfea with determination.

Suddenly, the grey-haired witch bumped into an invisible wall and grunted.

"That damn protective barrier again," she grumbled, hitting it with her fist."We don't have time to get to the Stone Circle, we have to destroy it before the total eclipse!"

"Are you sure this will buy us time?" asked a young lady with ebony hair and slanted eyes, bothered.

Susy answered for her partner, nervous.

"It's the quickest way, Tosca, we have an hour before we can infiltrate the school more easily."

The witch shrugged, and they all began to attack the shield in the same place with their powers, in order to create a breach, however small.

It took them ten minutes of uninterrupted attack before they finally saw an opening.

"Let's not waste time, let's go!" cried Shanice as she rushed towards the gardens of Alfea. "They've probably barricaded the doors, let's break them down!"

The rest of the battalion followed her and rushed towards the different entrances, head down.

***

Inside the castle, the students had mostly gathered in the dining hall and the Great Hall, avoiding the risk of spreading out. Riven and Dane had tried to venture into the corridors, but Saul had gently called them to order, and was keeping an eye on them with Lucy's help.

Not far from them, Kat was pacing, under the annoyed looks of Tecna and Sky.

"Can you stop stomping around like that?" questioned the Specialist. "You're making me dizzy!"

"No Tecna, I'm sorry, but I'm worried about Jade and the others," she replied with a sigh.

"I'm worried about her too, and Bloom, but I'm keeping it together," Sky lectured her, leaning against the wall.

Just as Jade's girlfriend was about to retort, a loud thud shook the room and startled everyone so that the students screamed.

"The witches are here," Tecna whispered in anguish.

Lucy walked past them with quick steps, ready to defend the school.

"Get ready, the doors won't hold for long!" she warned them in a hurry.

***

In the dining hall, Luna was already feeling the first effects of the eclipse on her powers. She could no longer transform herself.

"The witches are about to break through and I'm unable to protect the school," she complained, flashing a faint light at Ben and Flora, showing her helplessness.

"Don't worry, we'll do it for you," Professor Harvey's assistant assured her sympathetically.

"I'll protect you as long as it takes, sweetheart, I won't let anyone get close to you," he added, gently stroking her cheek.