Chapter 33 - Overcome Your Fears

After waking up with a bad-news face on, I isolated myself from my friends and went to the College gardens, still partly camouflaged by the thick morning mist. I had a remediation class this afternoon with the Queen. I had to arrive at the lesson rejuvenated, in a relaxed and positive state of mind, otherwise I might never make it.

I breathed in the fresh morning air, alone in the middle of the lawn. As I looked around, I realised that instead of dissipating, the mist was becoming more and more opaque, which seemed to be rather worrying. I decided to go back inside, after all, the Burned Ones could have attacked me. Or witches, or worse, Rosalind. A shiver ran down my spine just thinking about it.

Once inside, I pulled my phone out of my pocket. I was dying to call my grandma to check on her, but I was afraid she was still asleep at this hour. I pressed the little icon anyway, and luckily she picked up after five rings.

"Hello, honey? How are you?" she greeted me in a cheerful voice. "I'm glad to hear from you."

"I'm glad to hear from you too, Grandma," I answered, laughing. "How are you doing?"

"I talked to your mom on the phone yesterday," she announced out of the blue. "You didn't tell me you had a twin sister!"

I swallowed hard, uncomfortable. What was she supposed to think of me? That I was a secretive, sneaky girl, probably.

"I didn't want you to worry, you know, otherwise I would have told you," I explained calmly.

"Except that Bloom is in serious danger and I didn't even know about it!" she replied, a little louder. "You should have told me, damn it!"

My heart was pounding in my chest as I was so upset by my grandma's anger towards me. I'd never heard her get so furious before, and now I was feeling really bad.

"Why? To make you more anxious?" I questioned, confused.

"We could have found a solution together, maybe I could have found one!"

"Grandma, the problem is much more complex than you think," I affirmed, trying not to lose my temper. "I had to think long and hard with Mom and the rest of the teaching staff to come up with a plan that would be safe for us to save Bloom and stop Rosalind."

"Maybe so, but your mom was in tears when she phoned me last night, and she feels powerless," she admitted, more softened.

Suddenly, I lowered my head in sorrow. I didn't know that my mom was crying while I was away, and it hurt me to know that she was suffering like this.

"I'll always be there for her and Bloom, no matter what," I assured her with all my determination. "I will never give up the fight against Rosalind."

My grandma let a long moment of silence pass before she spoke again.

"I am proud of the young lady you have become, Jade. I admire your courage and mental strength."

I smile, flattered by the compliment.

"Don't go overboard, I'm the only one who has to take a remediation course this afternoon in Defence Against the Dark Arts job," I joked.

"You don't have to bother about that, everyone has difficulties at one time or another," she comforted me warmly. "I'm sure the Queen is a very good teacher. Besides, I'll let you get ready for your lesson, and I'll probably stop by soon to say hello."

I thanked her and wished her a good weekend before hanging up. I glanced out of the window: the mist had finally lifted, revealing a beautiful sunny day.

***

In the early afternoon, after spending half the morning with the girls and the other half with my mom, Saul and Kat, I headed for the Queen's office with quick steps. I was dreading this session, and I wanted to be punctual, as being late was not good for me. I was even obliged to wait for about ten minutes in front of her office until she came back, as she was not inside.