Chapter 10: A Detective Team

Briar explains to Riddle, and the others of what Headmage Crowley asks of her and the rest of the group and how they've been doing with their investigation and what they've learned. And how it's possible that what happened to Riddle and Trey isn't an accident either.

"Ah... So the headmage asked you to investigate," Riddle replies.

"That's right. He asked us to investigate the accidents that's been going around, but we didn't seem to have anything specific. However, it seems that every one of the incidents seems

"I knew it. Grim coming by for a get-well visit? That's just plain says," Cater replies.

Then Riddle says, "I must admit that I found the circumstances odd as well. I've had Cater looking into it for me."

"Really?" Tanzanite asks.

"Yeah," Cater answers, "And I found out that all of the victims have been talented players like Riddle and Trey."

"We kind of figured that as well. All the ones who were injured were supposed to be playing in the tournament," Seriea says.

Then Riddle says, "To be clear, it wasn't as if I had been pushed, or that I had tripped. But I did feel a peculiar sensation, like...my body was moving of its own volition."

"The other victims said basically the same thing!" Grim says.

"I believe we can safely surmise that potential Spelldrive tournament players are being targeted," Riddle says.

"You think someone is causin' accidents to take out threats from the tournament?" Riddle asks.

"It sure seems like it," Briar says.

The whole world will be watching. A good performance can make a player's whole career. It's no surprise that some would resort to underhanded methods to even the odds," Riddle says.

"Sure, but it doesn't make much sense," Cater replies, "I mean, you'd know if you got pushed off the stairs by a gust of wind magic or somethin', right?"

"Certainly. I felt no external force," Riddle says.

Then Cater says, "And some of the other victims had accidents in the classroom! How do you explain that?"

"The culprit can tell us all about it when we capture him. And we intend to help you do that," Riddle says.

This catches the group by surprise.

Grim as well, "Myah? YOU'RE gonna help us? What's your angle?"

"Don't be mean, Grim," Sereia says.

Trinket then pulls Grim at the ear, causing him to yelp.

"You offend us, sir," Cater says, "One of our housemates was injured—why wouldn't we help him find justice?"

The Ace says, "We're all house-buds here. Count us in."

"He's gonna pay for what he did to Trey!" Deuce says.

"You two seem awfully enthusiastic about this," Riddle says, giving them suspicious looks.

Cater soon understands why they're excited, "Ahhh... I get it. You're running for that open spot on our team, aren't you?"

"Heh. Was it that obvious?" Ace says with a smile.

But Deuce says, "N-no! That had nothing to do with it! I just want to avenge our housemate!"

Briar facepalms her face, "I can understand Ace, but you, Deuce."

"Hey," Ace says, offended.

Riddle sighs and says, "Fine... Your performance during the investigation will be taken into account."

"Woo-hoo!" Ace and Deuce cheer.

"Now, if we're going to apprehend this culprit, we need to stay a step ahead of him," Riddle says.

"And we're gonna do that HOW, exactly...?" Grim asks.

"By predicting which student will be targeted next and covertly following him," Riddle says.

"I suspect it will be good to stake out. You know, keep an eye on the remaining players in each of the dorm's teams," Briar says.

"But how do we know who will be targeted next?" Sereia asks.

"I've got this, Sereia," Cater says, "I've already identified a number of potential targets from among the most promising players." Then brings out his phone, "I'll form a group on Magicam so we can coordinate our efforts and then give you access to the album."

He types on the phone and is able to make the form quickly.

"Whoa, Cater, this is a ton of information!" Deuce says, impressed.

And with that, Cater says, "Now, let's move!"

"Let's nail this creep!" Grim cheers.