5 Lupus Occisor

Elizabeth's idea of a small party was a complete rave. And it wasn't just the common room, but half the school. The mess Hall, or as I was learning, a large whatever-kind-of-room we need, had been cleared of the lunch tables and replaced with a throng of dancing students and strobe lights hanging from the ceiling. Hip hop music vibrated the windows and everyone had a drink in their hands.

Except for me. I was too busy messing with my hair that was down around my shoulders and stopped at my mid-back. I never wore my hair down, but in an attempt to look like just another teenager out to chat with friends, dance, and get shitfaced on liquor- I elected for something more casual than my normal braided hair. Only a couple pins held the locks out of my face. Of course, I didn't obey Lizzie. I wore jeans cuffed at the bottom but they were blue instead of black, and a black tank top. Instead of boots, I wore converse.

I felt unlike myself, and this scene wasn't me either. If there was a bit more magic, more violence, and richer clothing, then I'd feel at home. The parties I attended overseas were not raves thrown by teenagers on a budget. They were parties funded by some of the most powerful supernatural individuals in the world, and the attendees were of a higher class than this. But my standards would need to lower if I was going to have a good time.

"I like you better in dark academia." Xavier joined my side, and pinched a lock of my wavy hair between his forefinger and thumb. I looked down at my clothing and nodded, then glanced at what he wore. But it was no different than earlier, classy black pants and a grey buttoned collared shirt.

"I'm glad you didn't change."

"I do not own party clothes." He looked around the room. "At least, not these kinds of parties." I think his kinds of parties were mine as well. Despite that, the strobing colors of red and pink and purple reflected off the shininess of his black hair and shone on his skin. He was an expressionism painting, a splash of color and darkness to convey something exhilarating.

"Alice." A voice caused us both to turn. Aleksandr walked up to us, and looked between Xavier and I. I felt my stomach turn with anxiety at his presence. "Anastasia and I wanted to invite you to a family dinner in a couple weeks. Our parents will be flying into town from New York. They'd be happy to meet you." The warlock invited me. I forced a convincing smile and nodded.

"I would be honored to meet them." I assure the warlock, and press a hand to my chest in a common gesture of goodwill or affection in the Clan Hela. Aleksandr's colored eyes flicked to the vampire beside me and back at me, clearly displaying his distaste for Xavier or vampires in general. As he moved passed us towards the Saltzman twins, who I just spotted in that moment, I met Xavier's gaze. "It's a witch thing."

"I did not ask."

"Aren't you curious why the Clan Hela would be inviting me to a family dinner?" Xavier pondered my question and then shook his head no. I tilt my head at him. "Do you even know who I'm talking about?" The vampire was silent. "Do you know anything about Alek or Anna?"

"I know they hate my kind, but most witches and warlocks do." Xavier shrugged.

"I don't."

"Darling Alice, you are a wolf among the sheep."

"My father says that too." I offer an amused chuckle. "But when he says it, he's referring to being a werewolf playing at being a witch. Hope always embraced her werewolf side more than I ever have. I'm the daughter that prefers classy vampire parties over running on all fours through the woods."

"I think that is the most you have ever told me about yourself, Alice." Xavier's gaze was magnetic. I felt my heart rate increase and hoped he couldn't hear it over the music. I was probably making a fool of myself. "You read everyone else but you do not enjoy it when someone sees you." He picked up on it aloud.