23 Samhain

The music in the trees was loud, and as I approached with Lizzie at my side, I could taste the magic in the air. The school was having a Halloween party, but the rated R party was in the woods. Folk music came over speakers set up in the old mill. And candles were set up everywhere. A group of students were dancing to the music, and flowing fabric and spinning movements reminded me of the nights in Norway with Clan Hela. The sound of the chimes joined the music, and rhythmic clapping from the witches and warlocks coupled with occasional chanting enchanted me.

Lizzie grinned wide at me. I knew without asking her that this was all at the orchestration of Aleksandr and Anastasia. The witches and warlocks here had no idea how privileged they were to experience a taste of what the Three Days of Samhain would look like if Clan Hela was hosting. Without Alek and Anastasia here, none of these students would even have an inkling of how to celebrate such a night properly.

Clan Hela wouldn't allow any of them entry to their Three Days of Samhain celebrations. But since the nearest locale for such was in New York, Aleksandr and Anastasia clearly improvised.

Lizzie excitedly headed towards the dancing throng, and took the hands of a couple witches. They danced in a circle. As I maneuver through the small group towards where Anastasia was sitting in the building, I clapped in time with everyone else. My breath fogged in front of me with the cool of the night. The witch sat behind a table with candles and other objects laid out. Including skulls of birds and antlers. I could smell smoke and sage in the air.

Anastasia wore something similar to myself, a flowing black top with a turtleneck and clinging sleeves. Her hair was down around her head, some of it had been fastened in small braids adorned with cuffs. Through her ears were earrings with beads and feathers. Her fingers were black from kohl. And on her face, was black markings with the said substance. Runes on her cheeks made her look like she might go into battle.

"Alice." She greeted, her eyes shining in the candlelight. I leaned over the table towards her, and the Viking witch took the liberty of drawing runes onto my cheeks and my forehead with her finger. As her skin touched mine, I could feel the tingle of magic against my face at the contact.

"Anastasia, are you trading our secrets and painting all their faces?" I indicate to the other students, all of whom had their own kohl markings. I was teasing if course, Viking runes alone were no secret. Clan Hela wouldn't typically share kohl with outsiders, but in this environment- all the students who had magic were not outsiders. Not to Anastasia, at least. She shared a grin with me.

"They don't know what the runes mean, only that they will hide them from the demons beyond the veil." She replies. "Heil og sæl." Be safe and sound. I pressed a hand to my chest as a response to the common endearment, and turn back to the bulk of the crowd.

"I like your hair like this." Aleksandr finds me first. My hair was braided against the sides of my head and down the middle in a larger intricate braid that gave it exaggerated volume. "You actually look like a Clan Hela witch tonight." He added.

"This is what is in my heart." I spoke the truth. Regardless of if I was on the list, or wanted by the Clan, it was in my soul to be one of them. If only I had realized that before betraying them.

I extend a hand out for the warlock. Aleksandr's face was also decorated with kohl, and his hazel eyes were dark in the lighting. His black hair was braided back and he wore a forest green cotton shirt that resembled a tunic. The sleeves were pushed up to his elbows. The music slowly shifted to rhythmic drums paired with rattles.

Aleksandr takes my hand, and I lead him into the throng of dancing. We pressed our palms together first. "Bringe Lys." Bring light. I whispered, closing my eyes briefly to focus on the currents in the night air around me. When we began to dance the particles in the air lit up like dust.