30 From my Father

There was only a couple weeks between thanksgiving break and Christmas break. I only bothered going to class to spend the time with friends, because the teachers had given up on me turning in homework, and I gave up bothering to do it. The only reason why I haven't been kicked out is because my Mum was the headmistress. This was her idea.

Using my magic to its fullest every day was growing easier. It was like my body adjusted to being exhausted all the time. As a result, I dropped a couple pounds, which I was sure I'd get back over the holidays.

When Christmas break came, I said my goodbyes to Xavier. He wished me luck on the ritual, and I told him I'd see him soon. Of course, in vampire terms, soon could mean anytime between a few months to a few decades. After all, creatures of the night weren't burdened by something as trivial as time.

I knew I'd be too busy to miss the vampire, and when me and my sisters arrived to the Mikaelson compound in New Orleans with our guests, the heaviness of New Orleans pressed down on me in a way that suggested something in this city had shifted since I was here last.

That was only confirmed when Marcellus was sitting in the middle of the compound, waiting for our arrival.

Hayley got up from where she was sitting beside him, and embraced her daughter in delight. Caroline started to give the tour to the guests, including Landon, Josie's girlfriend- who's name I already forgot,- Michael, and the Ravenson twins. For yule, the twins and I would be visiting New York for a few days, which I was sure would be eventful. Caroline might've refused but considering I was engaged to Anastasia, she didn't push so hard to keep me home the entire three weeks. Especially since the rest of the time I'd be in New Orleans.

Marcel walked up to the group slowly, dark eyes scanning the newcomers. He didn't have to worry; there was one vampire among them and Michael was sired to me. There wouldn't be any misbehaving.

"Why aren't you back in New York with Aunt Bex?" I asked the man. He crossed his arms over his chest, and I noted the way he inclined his head slightly. He would rather be in New York, based on his body language. Whatever he was about to tell me would probably make my Christmas vacation a lot more interesting.

"My father was helping you with something in the city." I recalled from my phone call with him after the events at the Canaan Festival. "What's going on Marcellus?"

"Do you remember the vampire group who was working with that witch? The one you... helped with?" Marcel reminded me, keeping the details to a minimum since it was likely my Mum was eavesdropping- even though she was leading the students upstairs on her tour.

"They can't still be a problem. I put the fear of the devil into them." I joked light heartedly, readjusting the bag over my shoulder. Marcellus shook his head slightly, a gesture that suggested they were in fact, still a problem, and there was more to the story than that. "I'll meet you at Rousseau's tonight." I told him, and he nodded. This wasn't the place to speak about whatever plague had befallen New Orleans now.

"Thanks, Alice."

"You know me, unable to turn down a good opportunity to show off." I joked, fist bumping him. Marcellus showed those perfect teeth off in a smile, and headed out of the compound. I watched him go, my mind reeling from the prospect that those vampires had the audacity to impose their own agenda when I made it clear they wouldn't be tolerated. That's what I get for not staying in New Orleans to establish the validity of my threats.

Upstairs, Caroline had assigned the guests to their rooms. Josette and Elizabeth decided to stay together. All the students were in one end of the compound, while the other rooms were on the other end. It made it very simple, to have everyone's rooms in one hallway.