8 The Things that are Unsaid

Xavier sat in the drawing room, and he fit the aesthetic of the Mikaelson mansion better than I did. "Let me get this straight, you need ribs mid-transformation. Does this wolf need to be alive when they are removed?"

I sat across from him, and painted my nails, glancing up as he asked but did not reply.

"What is this for again?"

"A ritual to bring my family back together."

"Why would I help you?"

"Don't you want me to owe you a favor? What if you're bit by a wolf seeking revenge for your past... indiscretions, and need my blood to heal your wolf bite?" I wonder.

"Oh Alice, you do not think me mad enough to follow you blindly, do you?" The vampire was flirting with me. I knew this now, and could feel it when he looked at me from beneath his eyelashes. I screw the cap back onto the nail polish.

"You're here. I invited you in. And... there's a lot more ingredients than the ribs."

"What else?" Xavier wondered, but judging by the way he was looking at me, he didn't care about the other ingredients. He was simply keeping the conversation going.

"The blood of a transitioning vampire." I had the Ingredients memorized, I could list them in my sleep. The vampire stood from the couch and wandered around the drawing room, observing the books on the shelves and the paintings hanging on the walls. "The heart of a dark witch, to be consumed during the ritual." Xavier leaned on the fireplace mantle and looked at me.

"Consumed?"

"Yes." I met his gaze. "It wouldn't be the first heart I've eaten."

"Darling Alice is not so darling after all."

"Stop it."

"Stop what?" He asked innocently, smirking. The vampire lifted a round smooth white stone from the mantle. "What is this?"

"A moonstone."

"What does it do?"

"Nothing anymore." I blow on my nails as the dark crimson polish dries. The vampire seemed to realize, remembering who's mansion this is and what relics would the owner keep.

"The moonstone." His dark eyes widened a little.

"My father, despite what he says, is the sentimental type."

"Klaus Mikaelson. The romantic." Xavier joked. I covered my lips to hide my smile and keep from laughing. "Do you think he influenced Rousseau?" He set the stone back down and walked around the room, coming up behind the couch I sat on. I didn't turn my neck to look at him.

"You haven't given me a direct answer. Will you hunt with me, or not?"

"Slow down, Alice." His breath on my ear sends a ripple across my skin. From behind me, his fingers tuck loose strands away from my face. I breathe out slowly, closing my eyes to hide away the feelings that was definitely caused by teenage hormones which rushed through me. Not by anything obvious like being normally attracted to someone.

"Speed up, Xavier." I turned on the couch and lifted to my knees, looking up at him, standing behind the couch. His dark curls were silky, and out of his face, brushing the collar of his shirt. I leaned forward, and he goes to take a step back. "You're afraid of me." I realize out loud.

"Alice, I am not afraid of anyone."

"You're lying." I grinned, and he mirrored my expression. "Tell me, Xavier." I purr in the same manner he always does to me. "Why do I scare you?"