chapter four • engagement

Ivy Matthews

Ivy Matthews

After the crushing defeat of asking Nathan to tutor me, I decided that I needed to talk to my parents about failing my classes. Without trying to sound too mean I didn't have as much faith in the other school-approved tutors as I did in Nathan Kingston and therefore needed to talk to them about getting me a tutor outside of school from the list my counselor gave to me.

I was all set to talk to my mom and dad when I got home, even practicing what I was gonna say to them throughout the drive back from school and up the elevator to the point where I think Jackson thought I was crazy.

But my plans flew out the window when I saw my older sister Gracie sitting on one of the stools at the counter with her girlfriend sitting next to her. My parents were leaning against the counter on the other side, talking animatedly to them before they noticed Jackson and I walk through the door.

"Oh good, you two are home. Don't make any plans for tonight, the seven of us are celebrating." My mom cheered, shooting both her hands up in the air.

Disappointment cooled in my veins because if my mom's this excited about something I can't ruin it with news that I'm failing multiple classes that I need in order to graduate. I pushed down the conversation I planned to have with my parents in my head and threw on my normal smile, spinning to fully face where my mom was in the kitchen.

"Wha- why?" I questioned, still somewhat shocked that my sister was here and not back in London.

Instead of my mom responding to me, Gracie and her girlfriend Iris both turn their stools so they were facing me and my brother, wide twin smiles spreading across their faces before they both thrust their left hands in my face and squealed, "we're engaged!"

On my sister's hand was a diamond that looked a lot like my mother's but more intricate. She had a large oval diamond in the center with a ring of pink stones circling the center diamond and across the thick band. Iris's ring on the other hand was very simple. Her's had an emerald stone in the middle with just two small diamonds on each side of the center stone, held together by a thin gold band.

I wonder if they each picked out their own rings or if they just knew each other well enough to know exactly what the other wanted.

"That's great!" My voice exaggerating my enthusiasm, "when did this all happen?"

"It's a funny story, I promise. I'll tell you all at dinner." My sister exclaimed, bushing a hand-off in my direction. "Now, what's new with my little sister?"

"Oh, there's nothing really new." I unconvincingly lie, clutching my backpack strap more tightly onto my shoulder, "I'll tell you guys all about my life at dinner, I have a video I need to upload."

Without letting anyone else get a word in I'm running up the stairs as fast as my Doc Martens can carry me and finally let out a breath once I've closed my bedroom door behind me. I slump down against the door until my butt hits the carpeted floor of my bedroom and I release a shaky exhale filled with anxiety.