chapter thirty one • bucket lists

Ivy Matthews

Ivy Matthews

We are finally leaving for spring break tomorrow. School has just dragged on and on and on and I'm so ready to just have a break on the sunny beaches of California with my family and my boyfriend for a week.

Gracie and Iris have already flown in and are currently holed up in the guest bedroom, doing whatever engaged couples do locked in a room together at 8 pm on a Friday, but Nathan won't be here till later.

I'm almost finished packing up all my clothes and double-checking that I have everything when my laptop pings with a FaceTime request from Dylan. I throw myself onto my bed and click accept, her eccentric and messy room at her mom's house coming into full view behind her.

"Hey. What's up?" I ask once the screen loads on both ends of the call.

"I was just letting you know that I finished the little bit of editing that we needed to do for the video for next Friday and it's all ready and scheduled to be posted while we are on break." She responds, throwing some of the clothes scattered around her room into a duffle bag while she talks.

"It's sad we aren't going on spring break together this year." I frown, using my finger to mock a tear sliding down my cheek, "But the cruise your mom booked looks cool."

"Yeah, who doesn't want to go to the Arctic Circle and Alaska right after surviving 5 months of brutal cold in New York City." The sarcasm in her voice doesn't go unnoticed by me but I pretend it does because I like to rile her up sometimes.

"Send me lots of pictures!" My voice is pitched so high when I say it that I know she knows im being fake.

She stops her rummaging around for clothes for a second and levels me with a look and a raised eyebrow as if to ask me if I'm serious before going right back to what she was doing before.

"I can't believe we have less than two months left of high school, I mean it feels like it was just yesterday when we were walking into Shelton and we both had braces." I say to change the subject and to pass the time until Nathan gets here after his shift.

"I had braces until junior year, don't remind me." She huffs, flopping on her bed when she's finally satisfied with the amount of clothes she has and zipping up her duffle with all of her strength.

"But it's so crazy, we have we have your birthday, then prom, and then the last day of school, and then beach week, and then graduation and we're basically going to be complete adults."

Time felt like it was moving at warp speed.

"Well, you won't be an adult until September, Ives." She jokes.

"Ok... Technically yes I won't be 18 until September but I'll still be going to college and living up my summer like everyone else who's graduating."

"Speaking of colleges," she pauses, giving me her full attention through the computer screen, "I know FIT acceptances came out today, did you get in?"