chapter eighteen • all snowed in

Ivy Matthews

Ivy Matthews

The tutoring session on Wednesday after what happened in my bedroom on Monday was the most robotic one since Nathan very first started tutoring me. I had a big test in biology coming up that I needed to review and we did. Sitting as far away from each other as the desk in my bedroom allowed, we only talked about my revision and did not utter a word about what happened between us on Monday.

I'm pretty sure he avoided me for the rest of the week. I didn't see him at all at school on Thursday or Friday, not even in the class that we have together and he responded to my text making sure he was coming today with a single thumbs-up emoji.

But I have bigger things to worry about considering this week is probably my family's biggest week of the entire year. Tomorrow is my dad's 42nd birthday, Thursday is the 24th anniversary of my Aunt Gracie's passing and Sunday is Carolina's 7th adoptaversary.

It's a big deal.

So big of a deal that when Jackson and I cross the threshold back into the house we can already hear Gracie and Iris in the kitchen talking with my mom and probably a bottle of wine.

The door close behind us, leaving the start of a winter storm spiraling outside while my sister squeals and comes out of the kitchen, "my babies!"

"We're almost eighteen, Gracie." I respond taking off my coat and hanging it on one of the hooks in the foyer.

"You two will always be babies to me, I remember when you were this big." She holds her fingers in a pinching motion while she waits for us to get our coats off.

"Yeah, when you were like four." Jackson retorts, walking into the living room and getting crushed into a hug by our older sister.

I follow shortly after and she gives us equal attention, squeezing us so tight that I feel like my whole body is going to burst like a tube of toothpaste. She finally releases me out of her hug and pulls back to grab my upper arms, "I heard my little Ivy has a boyfriend. You need to tell me all about him."

"He can tell you himself," Jackson chimes in, "he'll be here in like 15 minutes." I send him a death glare while he smirks back at me.

I'm gonna be an only twin tomorrow.

"Even better!" Gracie squeals and I internally groan.

The snow keeps falling harder with every minute, blanketing the New York City streets with a fresh layer of white, and every minute that the snow keeps falling I keep worrying about Nathan out there on his deathtrap of a motorcycle.

What if he gets hit by a truck that's swerving because it his a patch of ice? What if he swerves because he hits a patch of ice and gets splattered onto the sidewalk at 60 miles an hour?

My hands are white-knuckled fists while I keep looking out the window, waiting to make sure he gets here ok. They only slightly start to unclench when I see the familiar black motorbike pull up against the curb and him hopping off the bike to chain it to our railing.