chapter twenty four • makeover makeout

Ivy Matthews

Ivy Matthews

"I can't believe you actually convinced him to be in a video, the same guy who avoids whenever there are camera guys at school." Dylan exclaims when we get in the car to get driven home.

"He's your boyfriend." My brother buts into the conversation, turning around from the front seat to join in, "isn't that like what he's supposed to do?"

"As if you would know anything about being a boyfriend." Dylan quips, "you're like perpetually single."

"By choice." He rebuts, "and it's not like you exactly girlfriend material either, Hartley. I've never seen you around the same guy for more than a month."

"That's because 99% of relationships are destined to crash and burn, there's no point in doing something as useless as that."  She returns with as much malice as she can, crossing her arms over her chest and sticking her nose in the air.

We don't talk about it much but her parent's divorce really impacted her a lot more than she said it did. She was always a little grumpy and moody to my sunshine and smiles but it got way worse when her parents separated a couple of years ago. Her mom caught her dad sleeping with his assistant... in their bed. After that she completely swore off relationships, seeing how heartbroken her mother was and how indifferent her father was, moving in his college student assistant a month after the divorce was finalized.

"So you just going die alone with a whole bunch of cats? Want me to get you your first one as a graduation present so you can get a head start?"

"First, I'm more of a dog person. Second, just because I don't believe in relationships doesn't mean I'll be alone, you would be shocked at how active those 55+ communities are nowadays."

"Gross." I cringe, butting into their verbal competition, "I do not want to think about grandma and pops being active in those communities."

"Just saying." Dylan shrugs and pulls out her phone.

We don't talk more about sexually active retirement communities for the rest of the car ride home, instead choosing to make sure everything is all set for the shoot. We spend a big part of our budget for upcoming videos renting out a clothing store for a couple of hours so the four of us could shop without getting in others' ways but hopefully the money we make from the video will make back the money we spent on the location.

The three of us get home shortly after we made sure our location was confirmed. While Jackson relaxes on the couch until Nathan gets here and we need to leave for the shoot Dylan and I are rushing upstairs to make sure we have all of our camera equipment and the printed-out contract for use of the space.

"So who's taking who?" Dylan asks while packing an extra camera battery into our shooting bag.

"Do you want to take my boyfriend or my brother?" I say sarcastically.