Chapter 1

"Oh, fuck me!" Oluwande said aloud as Swede screamed from behind him.

There he was. There he fucking was.

"Stede fucking Bonnet!" Oluwande shouted.

Oluwande's sudden shout had paused the commotion happening behind him. Swede was frozen, pointing at the small dinghy that was floating closer to them. Roach turned to look, lowering the wooden juggling pin he'd been wielding.

Oluwande stared at Stede Bonnet through his magnifying glass. Stede raised his arm, the sleeve of his surprisingly unremarkable linen shirt sliding down his arm. Oluwande put the magnifying glass away and stood, beginning to wade into the cool ocean water that separated him from the captain he hadn't seen in days. The one who'd disappeared.

They'd kind of assumed he'd died. After all, Ed came back alone and lost his fucking shit. He didn't say a word about what happened. The closest they got was his weird song, but even that was vague and didn't really give an clues as to what happened with Stede.

Oluwande grinned, grabbing the front of the small dinghy and helping Stede drag it onto shore. As soon as it was firmly left on the beach, Oluwande rounded it and pulled Stede into a hug.

He was flooded with relief. Their captain, his captain, was back to save them. They'd only been moments away from the others trying to eat each other.

Stede stood rather tall. "Fear not, my crew! I have returned home!"

Oluwande pulled away, suddenly frowning. "Where the hell have you been?"

The confusion flooded back over the relief. Stede had been gone. He'd left them. Oluwande narrowed his eyes as a bit of anger began to creep into his chest.

Stede smiled. "I returned to my family to make amends. Surprisingly enough, Mary didn't even want me there. She tried to kill me."

"Captain," Oluwande said lowly.

Jim. The Revenge. Blackbeard. The Revenge.

"Right... right here. Right in the ear," Stede said, pointing to his ear. "With a skewer!"

Stede wasn't picking up on the tension that had settled within Oluwande. And, honestly, within the rest of the crew. The others crowded around, but there was an unusual somberness to them.

"Captain!" Oluwande snapped, the anger at the reminder of Jim being taken bubbling over.

Stede turned to face the vast, empty ocean that lapped at his feet. "Say, I don't see the Revenge anywhere. Have you seen Ed?"

Oluwande stepped backward, glancing at the others for help. Black Pete sighed.

"I think he forgot about the talent show, guys," Black Pete said darkly.

Oluwande shot Pete a glare. Talent show. Of course there was no talent show. It was a trick. A trap.

"The talent show?" Stede asked curiously, raising a brow.

"Captain... we don't... know where the ship is," Oluwande said quietly.

Stede's face fell. His light eyes darkened. "What? What do you mean you don't know where it is?"

Oluwande shrugged. From behind him, Black Pete approached slowly. Stede frowned, examining the remnants of white powder covering Pete's face.

"We were setting up a talent show. Izzy brought us out here to get ready, and then they never came back," Black Pete said.

"And they still have Frenchie," Roach said.

"And Jim," Oluwande said.

"And Lucius," Black Pete said.