Chapter 22

Ed sat on his back in the grass in front of Stede's house. Alma and Louis laid on either side of him. Ed pointed up at the sky.

"That one looks like a horse, doesn't it," Ed said.

"I think it looks like a dog," Alma said.

"No, no. It's too tall for a dog," Ed replied, grinning.

It'd started with an innocent question about piracy. Alma had asked about how they knew when a storm was approaching, and Ed had answered it thoroughly. And then Alma had moved onto asking about how they navigated. Ed answered that pretty easily too, since it was so familiar to him. That had led to Alma pulling Ed away, asking him to tell her about the different types of clouds. He'd followed her reluctantly at first, but he seemed to relax a bit.

Stede sat behind them on the veranda, smiling slightly.

"Who knew the fearsome pirate known as Blackbeard would be good with kids?" Mary said as she sat down next to him.

"Well, he's a good man... usually," Stede said.

Mary chuckled. "It's really amazing, honestly. I know you're not lying because I know you can't lie, but I don't believe it."

Stede smiled. "He's very influenced by the people he's around, I've found. It's both a blessing and a curse."

"So if he's around the wrong people..."

Stede nodded. "Exactly."

Mary sighed, watching Ed and the kids fondly. "I really am happy you've found someone, Stede."

Stede smiled. "Me too."

A few hours later, he and Mary were walking down the street of the town Stede had faked his death in. Ed was trailing behind them, telling stories to the kids as they walked. Stede was a little relieved. Ed seemed a bit more relaxed.

"I'm going to go find Evelyn," Mary said. "I'll bring the kids. Just... hang out around here."

Stede nodded, watching over his shoulder as Mary scooped up Louis and took Alma's hand. Ed smiled, slowly walking up to meet Stede. They stood in front of a rather big building that looked to be some sort of shop. Stede's eyes drifted just past Ed, where a poster was stuck to the building behind him. Stede's eyes widened.

Ed glanced over his shoulder as Stede rushed to the poster, carefully pulling it off the wall. Ed's eyes widened.

"Five hundred pounds!" Ed said breathlessly. "You should take me in yourself."

Stede chuckled nervously. "I'm dead, unfortunately."

"Stede?"

Stede's eyes widened. He spun on his heel with the poster in his hand. Ed took it and examined it. Jeffrey, his old friend, was standing nearby.

"No, no," Stede said, lowering his voice. "I'm Steve!"

The man slowly approached him, pointing. "I knew it! I knew you'd faked your death. After that night where you told those stories about piracy and Blackbeard, I just knew you wouldn't die like that!"

"What kind of stories about Blackbeard?" Ed asked, amused.

Jeffrey looked at Ed with a smile. Meanwhile, Stede spun in a circle, eyes darting around. The street was empty.

"He brought Blackbeard down with a single look," Jeffrey said.

Stede glanced at Ed nervously. Ed grinned.

"That's true, actually," Ed replied. "I can vouch for that one. I was there."

Stede fiercely grabbed Jeffrey by the collar and dragged him into the alleyway behind them. He put a hand over Jeffrey's mouth, eyes burning brightly. Ed turned to watch him, raising a brow. Slowly, he walked to where Stede had dragged the man.