Engagement Party (9)

My mom was so ready to get out of the hospital. I had visited her last night after work and most of our conversation was her complaining about how she didn't understand why she had to stay a whole week, although we did also talk about my job and Langdon's upcoming visit. I had also called Naomi last night after I had gotten home since it would take entirely too long to text out everything that happened in the last few days. As predicted, she was offended that I hadn't told her everything sooner but got over it in her excitement for my new job. I promised again to keep her updated on my mom's condition and now my new job—for real this time.

It was Friday, practically the weekend. I wasn't antsy to be done with work for the week, although I couldn't help but think about what I would do over the weekend. Visit Mom of course. Langdon said he might visit too, but he always cancels. Maybe I could just have a day at home in my pajamas. I'll watch TV, and eat popcorn and ice cream, and just be generally lazy for the weekend. That would be great. Maybe I could even revisit my business idea.

"Are you stuck?"

I glanced up at Viveca. We were in our office, both at our desks. My laptop was open, but I had been staring at it aimlessly while I thought. "What? Oh, sorry, no, I just got distracted. Sorry." I've got to focus while I'm at work. I need this job. Does Viveca think I'm wasting time on purpose?

She gave a chuckle. "I get it. It's Friday, I'm beat too. Have any plans for the weekend?"

"I'm going to visit my mom and just relax, I think."

"That sounds nice. Manny and I are going to see a concert. We haven't gone to one in ages, but it's up in Tennessee, so we'll have a bit of a drive."

"I'm sure that will be fun." I hated concerts if they were the kind with pop or rock singers, they were loud and full of people, not my idea of a good time.

Someone knocked on the door, but didn't open it, so Viveca called for them to come in. A vampire popped his head in. He had dark brown hair that was tied up in a man-bun on top of his head. "Hey, Salvador," Viveca said. I nodded at him.

"Buenos tardes," he replied, opening the door the rest of the way. "I brought you a package, Viveca." He held out a small box.

I think he's the only person I've met here with an accent.

Viveca jumped up and crossed the room to take it from him. "Thanks, Salvador. And the cost?"

He grinned. "I asked my wife "can you help me with this crossword clue? It says overworked mailman." My wife says, "sure, how many letters?" and I said, "too many."" He snorted with laughter at his own joke and Viveca scoffed with a smile on her face.

"I don't know where you get all these. Do you just look up mailman jokes online?"

"Viveca, a magician never reveals his secrets."

"Yeah, yeah. Have a good day, Salvador."

"Adios." He closed the door behind him.

Viveca sat on the corner of her desk. "I know what this is." She took a moment to rip it open without the use of scissors, then pulled something long and thin out and walked over to hand it to me.

I flipped it over and read, Alessandria Sharp. "Is this my name plaque for outside the office?"

"Bet your bottom dollar," said the elf. "Now it's officially your office as well."

I smiled at her. "Thank you."

"Let's put it up!" she said, tugging me outside our office. I carefully slid the thin plaque into the plastic compartment on the wall while she quietly cheered and tapped her hands together. "There is it—12, Viveca Laurent, and Alessandria Sharp. It looks perfect."