A Bit of a Flirt (11)

"Afternoon, all. Did you see the meteor shower last night?" Damon asked, sliding into the chair beside me. He had been sitting with my group at lunch every day for the past two weeks and somehow usually ended up sitting beside me. Today, Viveca, Garett, Penelope, Raquel, Caledonia and Kabir were sitting at the same table as me. All were vampires except Viveca, Caledonia, and I.

I shifted in my seat a little, so I was slightly angled towards Damon, but didn't say anything as the rest of the group murmured yes or no to his question. He raised his eyebrows at me. "No, I didn't. I didn't even know there was one last night. Besides, I don't think I'd be able to see it very well from my house, I live in the city."

"That's a shame," he said, taking a drink from his metal water bottle. "It was beautiful."

"Do you usually watch meteor showers?" The rest of the group had returned to their own conversations, but I was more interested in Damon's starwatching. He must live in the country if he could see the meteor shower. There's no way he can see it from the city. Even in the country he would have a hard time since I assume he still lives near Atlanta.

"Most vampires do—the night is important to them since they're weakened in the sun. Vampires used to be nocturnal you know, before they conformed to human and elf standards to fit in." He looked nonchalant as he mentioned that, but I found it a little sad.

Vampires had to change the way they were to fit in. That had to be hard, a whole species collectively changing their sleeping habits. I wonder if some still sleep during the day? Are they considered outsiders, or do they have jobs that fit them? Is sleeping in the day easier for them still even though they've been diurnal for hundreds of years? Maybe I should start doing more research on vampires. I could probably just ask; I am surrounded by them every work day of the week. I thought I would mind more, but I actually enjoy them. Especially Damon.

I couldn't lie to myself and deny I felt a little something for Damon. It was hard not to when he constantly sought me out just to say hello, or when he brought me coffee he had made from home, even if it needed a little warming up. He was handsome to say the very least, I was especially fond of his dark hair. His red eyes would have been more unnerving, but I grew more used to them every day, and the smile in them took away any fear I might have had.

I rejoined the group conversation for the rest of lunch, but as soon as I finished my meal, Damon leaned a little closer to me. "I need to go outside for a few minutes. Care to join?"

He smells like coffee. "Sure." I nudged Viveca. "We're going outside. Be back in a few minutes."

She smiled. "All right."

I pushed my chair back, standing as I put away my lunch things neatly and left them on the table. I'll grab them when we come back. Damon put his hand on my shoulder for a moment to guide me in front of him towards the elevator. He let go once I started weaving around the other tables, falling in behind me, but it left a chilly imprint on my shoulder.

When the elevator door closed, it cut off the cafeteria sounds, leaving Damon and I in silence for a moment while we searched for a subject to speak on.

"What are we going outside for?" I asked. The days had slowly started becoming chillier as September drew to an end, making me less compelled to go outside for the sheer enjoyment of it.

"Smoking isn't allowed in the building," he replied as we moved toward the ground floor. "Except my office, but I would rather go outside."

"Oh." Smoking again. I can't believe someone like him would smoke. He has to know it's a terrible habit. He seems the kind to help people break away from smoking, not encourage it. Then again, he doesn't allow smoking in his building, so maybe he doesn't necessarily encourage it. "Do you live in the country? You mentioned seeing the stars and there's no way you can see them from the middle of Atlanta."