22. Seeing Red

''Fire is such strange power. Everything that House Targaryen possesses is owed to it. Yet it has cost us both what we loved. Perhaps the Velaryons knew the truth of it.'' Rhaenyra remarked as her father sailed home.

''The sea is the better ally. Fire is a prison. The sea offers an escape.''

+

''A perversion of justice. The young prince... defiled. An outrage." Larys remarked limping up to Alicent

''Indeed.'' Alicent agreed softly

''If it's an eye you want to balance the scales, I am your servant.'' Larys offered

''That will not be necessary. But your devotion has not gone unnoticed. These are dangerous times. The day will doubtless come when I require such a friend.'' Alicent told him softly. ''With not only skill but discretion as well.''

''I shall await your call, my Queen.''

+

''I need you, Uncle.'' Rhaenyra told him as he leaned back against the stone wall. ''I cannot face the greens alone let us find our blood just as aegon the conqueror did with his sisters with you as my husband and prince consort my claim would not be so easily challenged the valeryan's are of the sea but you and I we are made of fire we have always been meant to burn together.' Rhaenyra declared.

'' We could not marry unless Laenor were dead.'' Daemon reminded her

''I know.''

''I've heard about your exploits in the Step stones, Ser Qarl. Said to be a knight of remarkable skill.'' Daemon remarked.

''You flatter me, m'lord.''

''But alas, common-born. You're a landless knight with a lord's taste.'' Daemon told him, hood pulled up high over his head.

''Ser Laenor's been kind to me.''

''Do you know... there are places across the Narrow Sea... where it doesn't matter what a man's name is? Only how much gold he possesses.' Daemon told him vaguely.

''What are you asking of me, m'lord?''

''A quick death. One with witnesses.'' Qarl scoffed but Daemon put a pouch of coin in his hand.

+

"Aisha... I need you to know that I will always be with you." Laenor said softly.

"What's going on?"

"I love you so much." Laenor told her hugging her tight.

"You are going to dragonstone. I can visit you." Aisha told him.

"I love you Aisha... more than anyone.... I'm sorry I'm not going to be here to..."

"Laenor dragonstone is not that far away." Aisha assured him. "I can visit all the time."

"I love you."

"I love you... is something wrong?" Aisha questioned.

"No... I will see you soon love."

+

''I will not be a tyrant. And rule through terror.'' Rhaenyra assured.

''A tyrant rules only through terror.'' Daemon agreed ''If the King isn't feared, he is powerless. If you are to be a strong queen, you must cultivate love and respect, yes, but your subjects must fear you.''

'' Who let you in here? Why are you in my father's hall?'' Laenor asked when he came upon Qarl.

''You have always looked down on me.'' Qarl remarked drawing his blade.

'I do love Laenor.'' Rhaenyra told daemon softly.

''Then grant him this kindness. Set him free.'' Daemon told her confidently.

''You forget yourself.'' Laenor spat facing off against him.

''My lord. Please!'' his squire cried out but Laenor pushed him back. ''I'll alert the guards!'' he declared scurrying off.

'' This will cost Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys their only remaining child. And the realm will whisper that I was somehow responsible.'' Rhaenyra remarked.

''Let them whisper.''

''No!" Rhaenys declared as a body burnt beyond recognition but Laenors necklace adorned around his neck. It was her son, no doubt in her mind, she dropped before him.

''How did you let this happen? In my fսcking hall? Tell me!'' Corlys shouted

"Rhaenyra did this." Aisha sobbed. "She killed him."

"There was a guard, a knight-' the squire began.

"NO!" Aisha hissed. "Rhaenyra killed my brother."

+

''We will know the truth of it and our enemies won't.'' Daemon said smugly.

''They will fear what else we might be capable of. ''

Laenor sails off into the night, head shaved but free of all duties. As Rhaenyra married Daemon. New love in an old flame. But Aisha had a burning hatred. Daemon had killed Laena through his child. Rhaenyra had her brother burned alive and now they were wed. Aisha thought herself a calm person but now, her siblings dead and Rhaenyra and Daemon happy and in love. Aisha saw red.