Chapter 5

"I can't believe it." Melissa mumbled. "This room looks so small without all my stuff in it." She wiped her eyes. I nodded. "I know," I sighed. "I can't believe you're leaving." I hugged her. "I know, me too." She replied, gently rubbing my back. We pulled away and walked downstairs to the front door. "I'll see you later." I said to her. "Yeah. Bye Will, I'll see you in a bit." She smiled and kissed my cheek, before leaving the house and getting in her car. I shut the front door and threw myself on the sofa. "I miss her already." I groaned. Tommy stood behind me with his hands in his pockets. "Yeah, well, it's cause you're in love with her." He teased me, giggling. "I'm not in love with her. I just have a small.. crush on her." I scratched the back of my neck. "Yeah, okay." Tommy scoffed. I groaned and placed my hands over my face. "She really left." I mumbled. Tommy patted my back. "I know, it sucks. Are you gonna find another roommate?" He asked me. I sat there for a minute, thinking. I sighed. "No. No one can replace her. Plus, what if her and Daniel break up and she needs somewhere to live?" I asked. Tommy sat silently for a minute. He nodded. "Will?" He mumbled. "What?" I asked him, standing up and walking into the kitchen. "Promise me something. If Melissa and Daniel break up, don't immediately try and make something happen between you and Melissa. Please." I looked at him like he was crazy. I wouldn't do that! I wouldn't want to hurt her. Does he really think I would do that? I wouldn't! "Don't be ridiculous. I wouldn't do that." I told him. He nodded. "I know. I didn't think you would, I'm just saying." I sat back down next to him. He stood up. "I've got to go, I have a stream to do." He told me. I nodded. "Bye." He waved. I waved back as he left my house. I slumped back in my seat and groaned.

It was a lot later in the day, when I heard a loud knocking downstairs. I got up and put my shirt on, before walking downstairs and opening the door. It was Melissa. "Hey Melissa, everything okay?" I asked her, allowing her to come in and shutting the door. "Will, Daniel told me." She replied, her voice shaky. I stood still for a minute, hearing her shoes clack against the wooden floor. "Told you what?" I asked. I had completely forgotten about what I told Daniel just a couple days ago. She sat down on the sofa. I turned around, walking towards her and sitting next to her. "That you like me." I felt my skin go pale as a shiver ran down my spine. I began biting my nails as I shook violently. I can't believe he told her. "I'm sor-" I began, before being interrupted. "No. Don't you dare say sorry." Melissa told me. "Listen to me, Will. It's okay that you like me. You can't help that. You're such a sweet guy, but I'm sorry, nothing can happen between us. You know that, right?" She asked me. I nodded. "No- no, of course! I know that.." she stared at me. "Okay. Good. Daniel shouldn't have told me, that wasn't okay and I'm going to talk to him. Sorry about that. Are you okay?" She asked. I pushed my hair out of my face. "I'm- yeah, I'm okay." I responded, looking at the floor. i felt her hand against my cheek, before she moved it down to my chin. she lifted my head to look at her. "I have to go now. I'll talk to Daniel, see if I can get him to apologise to you. I feel so bad." She told me. I nodded. "Yeah. Thanks Melissa." I replied. She sat a bit closer to me, making me visibly confused. She gave me a quick kiss on my lips. "What- what was that for..?" I sputtered. She stood up. "Just a friendly kiss, is that not okay?" She smiled cheekily at me, before opening the front door and leaving. I sat wide-eyed, staring at the door. I blinked rapidly to snap out of my thoughts.

                She was only being friendly,
        it couldn't have meant anything else.

                                   Right?